I rode mine, Sturgis 2006

raymond braswell

Turbocharged
Just got back to Kansas City from Sturgis. Rocket rode great for the 1500 miles there and back plus the 1000 miles of day trips throughout the Black Hills. Received nothing but raves from Harley owners. Saw three other rockets. Would make several modifications for next long ride: Corbin hard bags (leather look) vs. Triumph leather saddle bags, foot rest versus just using the pegs, gas gauge vs. idiot light, Corbin seat with back rest.

When I was at my dealer a few Saturdays ago picking up the R3 after the 500 service there was a guy there from upstate New York with a Tribal R3 that was heading to Sturgis. I think he had Jardines and the little over-the gage fairing on. Nice fellow. I thought if I was going all that way, I'd have to have a windshield and lowers. I'm curious as to why you'd want the Corbin bags over the Triumph ones? I can see the gas gage. I use my trip meter and fill at 130 but the gage would be nice.

I had a lot of bikes pass me as I journeyed back and forth across the Ohio Turnpike from Toledo, Ohio to the Indy line, something I do 4 times a day. Most were Harley's and most were on trailers being pulled by RV's or in the back of pickup trucks. I guess you trailer it out, unload it somewhere near, throw a little dirt on it, ride into town and lie profusely.:)

Hey Flip.... I saw a lot of trailers also, going down I70. I did see quite a few riders though, but its hard to tell how many of them had chase vehicles with their wives in them. I did see some chopper boys, those guys travel light......

Raymond... It seems like everyone likes to set their Rockets up differently. All it takes is money. Pianoman can't stop, I'm pretty sure there is a Rocket under there somewhere:D

Glad you made it back in one piece. I heard there was some violence up there this year and that the outlaw gangs had quiet a presence.

And I agree with Tom, if there is an accessory you would like to see fitted on the Rocket, odds are Pianoman has it or has had it. He is top shelf all the way.:cool:

Gadget Guy

Ray...... sounds like you had one heck of a trip. Each year I say I'm going but never seem to get around to it. Since I love aviation as well, I think the first long trip will be to Oshkosh for the fly in. You can be assured it will be on the R3.

Your list of goodies all sound great. The floor boards really save your arch and a good back rest for long hauls is a life saver. Several of the KC BOYS have Corbin Beetle Bags and they seem to work fairly well.

The guys are correct. Like most of the male persuasion, I like buzzers, whistles, bells and things that blink! I think I've run out of things to put on the ride but then someone will mention a web site or a new gadget and " HERE WE GO AGAIN".

Welcome home.

Trip

Ray,
Just curious, but what kind of luggage did you use? You said you used leather bags this trip, but did you carry all your stuff in those? I plan to go to Sturgis next year, and I am sure I will have to carry a lot. I put on Leatherlykes last night, but I don't know which way to go for additional luggage: Leatherlyke trunk, sissy bar bag, or what.

By the way, I saw several Rockets on the street cam, so I might have seen yours.

Sturgis

Sidecar: I have had to replace one of the leather Triumph bags already because the top buckled. They don't lock and the new Corbin bag made for the Rocket looks like leather but are hard.

Pig9r: Yes, a little violence in Sturgis. Some Hell's Angels shot six Outlaws and two died. After we rode Spearfish Canyon we stopped for dinner in Deadwood and 40-50 Outlaws were strollong the town. It looked like the old west with shop owners scurrying to hang up signs saying NO COLORS ALLOWED. But all in all the Rally was spectacular.

Coyote: I have a sissy bar, the tall one, and had two large two bags that acted as a back rest. My side bags were full as well. We camped at Glencoe but meet others there from St. Louis who had hauled the tents and coolers and misc. camping gear.

I just got back to San Antonio from Sturgis as well, putting 3,950 miles on the bike. I should have taken a side trip to hit 4,000.. hahaha. I saw three other Rockets while I was there.. :) Mine is black with Corbin bags and the Roadster screen. Did hear about the violence, but was no where near there at the time. I sure wanted to ride Spearfish Canyon, but we never got the chance.. Too much to see and do.. ;) Like you said, the Rocket is a hit where ever you take it.

sturgis

TxRIIIrider,

Hey, congratulations on the ride to and from Sturgis. Me my buddies were having post Sturgis blues all this week, wishing we were still riding the Black Hills together. So to fill the gap we are already planning for next year! Glad you made it back safe and sound!

Yep, I'm still waking up wondering what state I'm in.. lol (physically and mentally.. lol) My wife wanted to do some riding this past Friday, so we took the bikes up in the Texas hill country a bit, that helped some.... :) I have some pics posted at http://users3.ev1.net/~tbsrider2000/sturgis.htm I'll add more as my buddies send me theres.. A couple of them are "R" rated-- "painted breastesess".. but the rest of them are friendly...

Back