I NEED A LOAN FOR NEW TOY!

Your minds are running wild with this R3 version :confused:
I’m only interested in the original video of a bicycle. No suspension needed on a road bike. All necessary flex is in the main triangle top & down tube, not in the chain stays. And ya Gris, it is electronic shifting & with that many gears, no cluster swap is needed unless you go ride in the Pyrenees ;) :cool:
Really is an awesome concept for cycling tho

It was interesting that he said you could swap the part if you wanted more gears. That would probably be true, but unfortunately they would all be lower gears. Also, the relative closeness of the gear ratios would increase as you go to higher gears.

Absolutely brilliant concept. As an ex cyclist (old Pro - Trackie) I get amazed at what I see in bikes now but this is just a leap ahead and I want one:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

The cog count
Unless you space the cog count farther apart.
I.E. - 13 tooth, 15, 17, 19 ect ;)
The cog count is determined by the circumference of the cogs, which is 2Pir. So just for arguments sake, lets say that the smallest diameter used is 4cm and each gear increases the diameter by one centimeter, then the difference in the ratios will be 4/5 (or the other way around if you like, it won't affect the results). By the time you move to the outermost ratio with his 13 speeds the ratio will be 15/16 - which is a much closer ratio. If you were to add another 4 gears then they would all be lower gears and even closer together.

If you were to add another 4 gears then they would all be lower gears and even closer together.
Could be useful with big wheels.
Pennyfarthing-1886.jpg

Interesting but not quite as claimed. The ceramic drive bearing races enter and exit the driven plate tangentially just like a gear set. Thus sliding friction is present because of a changing contact radii, just like a hypoid gear set or a chain drive but worse in this design. The smaller the driven member diameter (fewer teeth) the worse the problem. So, I want to know the efficiency in each ratio and then at minimum and maximum input torques. I suspect the 1% is all hype and reality far different.

It has few parts externally which is nice but the electronic position monitoring and gear changing could be quite complicated.

A CVT with adjustable sheaves and a simple steel belt (band) likely has better efficiency.

Back