Sightglass

.020 Over
Hello all. First and foremost, I do not own a Rocket III. I'm here because I spend a lot of time with the bikes being a tech at a Triumph dealer. I like to lurk the forums to get input on the products, and help with tech issues at times with any of the current Triumph line.

Cheers

Ok welcome aboard our crazy skiff. So If you don't own a Rockets what does a Triumph Tech Ride?

An 05 790cc Bonnie black with all the regular mods, and one no other has, a custom wiring harness. I'm picky, and didn't want wires all over the place when I took out the air box, and removed the side covers for good. I relocated the fuse block and relays, shortened in some areas, and legnthened in others.Ported head, K&N filters and rejetting, counter shaft sprocket change, wide open mufflers (Hand made), and a tweak of the cam timing for a hair more torque to compensate for the sprocket change. She tops out just shy of 127mph, and I expect more once I change out the ECU to one with a higher rev limit. If the top end ever wares to the point of needing work, I'll do a big bore kit on it. I also have sport bars, a solo seat, and mirrors of a speed triple, and cropped rear fender but this pic is prior to the seat and mirrors.

I call her "Espresso"....... Strong, black, and can wake you up in a minute.

Real sharp, the only other Triumph I have ridden was my dads 64 500 Trophy. I had always had my eyes on that for mine, but was stolen out of our garage. That was back in the mid 70s. Someday I hope to have something simular. There is a part of me that loves the retro style and the simplicity of it... Espresso.... sounds highly addictive too.:D

An 05 790cc Bonnie black with all the regular mods, and one no other has, a custom wiring harness. I'm picky, and didn't want wires all over the place when I took out the air box, and removed the side covers for good. I relocated the fuse block and relays, shortened in some areas, and legnthened in others.Ported head, K&N filters and rejetting, counter shaft sprocket change, wide open mufflers (Hand made), and a tweak of the cam timing for a hair more torque to compensate for the sprocket change. She tops out just shy of 127mph, and I expect more once I change out the ECU to one with a higher rev limit. If the top end ever wares to the point of needing work, I'll do a big bore kit on it. I also have sport bars, a solo seat, and mirrors of a speed triple, and cropped rear fender but this pic is prior to the seat and mirrors.

I call her "Espresso"....... Strong, black, and can wake you up in a minute.

Gee, I got one of those too. Mine just has a sidecar on it. I retained the stock look with custom bent stainless headers plasma coated, '68 Triumph straight through peashooters, 1 up on the countershaft, ported and polished, carbs bored, AI canned and a high rev CDI box. I'm thinking your speedo is off like the R3's. My bike solo completely wound out with me laying on the tank will pull around 110 and that's on a looooong straight road.

I prefer the R3. Riding the Bonnie, even with the sidecar is like riding a mini bike after riding the Rock. You can take a gander at it. It's in my photo album. It's for sale. First 20 takes it.:)

Gee, I got one of those too. Mine just has a sidecar on it. I retained the stock look with custom bent stainless headers plasma coated, '68 Triumph straight through peashooters, 1 up on the countershaft, ported and polished, carbs bored, AI canned and a high rev CDI box. I'm thinking your speedo is off like the R3's. My bike solo completely wound out with me laying on the tank will pull around 110 and that's on a looooong straight road.

I prefer the R3. Riding the Bonnie, even with the sidecar is like riding a mini bike after riding the Rock. You can take a gander at it. It's in my photo album. It's for sale. First 20 takes it.:)

I know my speed was fairly accurate, being I was being paced by my friend on his K1200GT with GPS for just that reason. That's about as accurate as you can get. There isn't a stock spedo on a bike that not off a few tics. It's easy with the R3, the ECU limits it to 138 from what I was told by Triumph. Run it till it hits the limiter, and see what the spedo reads:)

I love the R3, but it's just not built for my style of riding. I've been on Cafe' bikes all my life. I would have gotten a Thruxton, but I rather do it myself.

Cheers

Welcome Sightglass,

Good looking Bonnie. (I still miss my T-100 traded on the R/3.) Jump in often and your expertise on Triumph wrenching on all models is always welcome. I just recently helped the owner of my local dealership put one his kids through the first year of college via a 10k check up.

Welcome Sightglass,

Good looking Bonnie. (I still miss my T-100 traded on the R/3.) Jump in often and your expertise on Triumph wrenching on all models is always welcome. I just recently helped the owner of my local dealership put one his kids through the first year of college via a 10k check up.

LOL, ya thank God I do all my own work. I couldn't aford me:eek:
Hey, don't feel bad, I baught my doctor's wife her Jaguar with 4 shoulder surgries. What sucks about the 10K is that 9 out of 10 times the valves don't need to be adjusted, and it's a bunch of wasted time.

The last training I did (D675) speaking with about 8 other techs with time in the field all agreed that it wasn't worth checking them at 10K, and have since stopped doing it on that service.

It's the same with the BMW K1200LT. I haven't had to change a shim on one with under 24 K on it. The only valve adjustment I've had to do on a R3 is one where the owner removed the cam chain tensioner on the side of the road to see if his chain had broken when the bike died on him. He bolted it back in, and cranked the engine. Bent every friggin valve. So having to lap all the new valves in, they needed adjustment.

I'd love to beat the snot out of the engineed who came up with that valve train. Any engine that needs two people to get the cams back in is just not right.

Cheers

Back