How do you mount your GoPro ?

Joesmoe

IMOKUR2
Ride
Triumph: 2014 Rocket III Touring
I did a search, and find many references to using a GoPro, and all the discussion is about the product.

I recently purchased, along with my daughter, the current version of the GoPro, and would like to know the practical aspects of using it on a motorcycle.

I think @Whingnut has tried many placements.

I tried mine on the top of the helmet at RAA at the HUB but hound it did not like the extra tugging it gave me in the wind. I also never figured out to to make it last more than a few minutes.

For my next trick (whenever that comes) I think I will mount it on the chin bar of the full face helmet and if I go with it on the bike, maybe on the bars somewhere.

@rainman it seems your placement does quite well.

@Joesmoe I have two mounts i like both i built for my needs using a bunch of adapter parts. i also replaced the bolts with Allen heads to reduce size. so i can get them in tighter to the helmets. the first one is in front of the chin with the mount being on the rightside so i still get air and the view as seen on my Youtube channel is centered. the second is off to the right for my modular helmet but i had to modify my mount kit so it would straighten or level out the view from the camera. as for Motorcycle mounts i use the gopro case on the handlebars and its a quick mount. stand by for amazon & youtube link galore!
everything kit
helmet kit
Session housing
Helmet mod video

On the helmet mod i am goin gto redo that mount as i am not completely happy with it. the next one i will cut the arm in half and rivet in an aluminium stripso i can get the angle or level just right while wearing the helmet (can view on phone or tablet while wearing) then expoxying it.

if you want to see more a lot of my videos use two mounts at once with the video goin back and forth. i am using a Hero Session, Hero 3+, Hero 4, a Contour Plus. the audio is on a tascam DR05 with a 2channel mic or using a Sena Backpak with the Hero3. all videos are edited with Filmora by Wondershare. i have never bought any of my cameras new. all are used from craigslist or refurbished from amazon. the newest gear will have cleaner video.

the only down side to 3m mounting a go pro is if the helmet gets hot the glue will let loose. luckly i run a battery elminator so it just dangles in my lap it is annoying but i refuse to sand my expensive helmets for an epoxy bond. so i have extra 3m pads and i do not leave my helmet just sitting in the sun. YMMV

Be very careful about attaching anything to your helmet. If you do then make sure that it comes off easily. The reason for this is that in the case of an accident anything which is attached securely to your helmet may catch on the ground and cause your helmet to twist suddenly. When that happens then everything inside your helmet will twist suddenly, possibly causing your neck to break rather than the camera mount.

This may mean that your helmet will not work optimally when it needs to. However, I'm sure the resulting video will assist the coroner.

It is a risk yes and to be honest i was wearing a camera when i highsided in 2017. and the resulting video is pretty tough to watch. but when my head hit the pavement my camera rig and camera just broke off. i can never say i wasn't lucky, because i was.
I whole heartedly am against modifying the structure of the helmet to attach anything permenantly to a helmet (like bolting or epoxy bonding). it will make the helmet fail.

Back