High watt headlights

Ride
'06 R3
I read in the forum that the higher wattage headlight bulbs will overload and fry the wire harness...my dealer says the remedy is to add an extra ground wire..any feedback on this solution is appreciated...

The wiring is designed to carry a certain electrical load. Usually, the wiring can carry more than the stock load (the light bulb), but not neccessarily.

The circuit needs a power and a ground. Changing one and not the other will not help carry more load. I looked at the factory service manual, and the wire gauges are not listed.

If the original light bulbs are 55 watt and you put in 130 watt lamps, you run a risk of over loading the wiring. Changing the ground wire won't do you any good unless you also change the power feed wire.

You also need to consider the relay and the wire feeding the relay.

If you are upgrading to something just a few watts higher than stock, you'll probably be fine. You'll need to know the existing wire gauge and the wattage of your new bulbs to be sure.

Agree with above and would add that the really hot (bright, high wattage) bulbs are also hotter, (thermally) and some of the stories I have heard sounded like it was the heat of the bulbs causing trouble. If you go bigger, check the headlight shells now and then see if they are getting hot enough to cook on.

In the last couple of months one of our Aussie R3 owners posted a not on a light globe of the same wattage but of a different Type that ran very cool and had very high light intensity from memory I think it was an ARB product (an Aussie 4WD accessory manufacturer) and was worth about A$90 for a pair.

mikeg 8) way to go I think

You can purchase these from any reputable automotive supplier, same wattage as originals but whiter and brighter, upto 20 mtrs better penetration at night, fit some to my Speed Triple, and now purchased a pair to fit to the R3, heaps better and no wiring mods needed.

http://www.lightlens.com/bulbs.htm :lol:

My mistake on this one boys...turns out the wattage (55) is the same as the stock bulbs but the output is more than double and the brighter blue tint..thanks for the timely comebacks and good information!!!

philips light bulbs

they were the philips H$ Gt150 bulbs which can be bought cheaply enough on ebay.

Back