Hi from Long Island

bus man

Standard Bore
Greetings!
My name is Danny. I'm a 57 YO retired auto wrench who now drives a school bus for a few hours in the AM. I'm a born again rider after 25 years on 4 wheels. I re-entered on an '02 Bonneville, increased the excitement last spring with buying a 1050 Tiger and I'm now considering trading it in for an R3. The Tiger is a great, comfortable and wonderfully performing bike but I'm a little vertically challenged for it (I don't like the idea of lowering it) and mine, like a few other Tiger 1050's, burns a bit of oil (Qt. every 2000 miles). I've never owned a cruiser and there are just SO many V twins out there I couldn't see myself adding another to the mix. Besides, I love Triumph and in spite of what I've been reading here regarding paint cans and keyways, I want another. I hope it's appropriate ask a question here but here goes. Which one? Tourer or standard? Has anyone here ridden both and could tell me how much of a performance dropoff there is with the tourer over the standard beast? If I want to play a bit of boy racer on the twisties of Vermont (Long Island don't twist), is there much of a difference? My dealer here owns a tourer and will let me take it out but a standard isn't available for testing.
Nice, informative place here.
Thanks

Hi Danny, welcome

In my opinion, My first rocket was a standard all stock 2005. with all the power I could have ever wanted. The drawback to me was no storage space of any kind. after too many trips with a backpack on my back I put saddle bags on. I don't think it had any effect on the bike at all as far as performance goes. even loading them down and strapping on luggage for a five day 2700 mile trip, it was all good. Now I have the 2007 classic tourer with the stock saddlebags/floorboards ect... It is great. Rademis

Hi Danny, welcome

In my opinion, My first rocket was a standard all stock 2005. with all the power I could have ever wanted. The drawback to me was no storage space of any kind. after too many trips with a backpack on my back I put saddle bags on. I don't think it had any effect on the bike at all as far as performance goes. even loading them down and strapping on luggage for a five day 2700 mile trip, it was all good. Now I have the 2007 classic tourer with the stock saddlebags/floorboards ect... It is great. Rademis

Thanks Rademis. So, is your current '07 classic tourer the lowered horsepower (and slightly more torque) edition? And if so, how's it to your '05?
For me, storage room is necessary and good. Current luggage set up on my Tiger is a Ventura system which holds enough stuff but partially rests on pillion section of seat.....can get lonely out there.

Welcome to the forum. I've not ridden both. Can't answer that question. I ride a Tourer.

The lowered HP and increased torque arrives with the 08 TourING model.

Last edited:
BM, heres a standard thats been lowered just to give you some ideas. Very low seat hight..Jack

That's beautiful Jack! Whichever model I get, it will be black. I'm just not sure that my Yorkie, Chloe, would like her picture on the tank.

tourer/ vs / touring

The 07 classic tourer is still basically the same bike as the plain rocket III, except it is loaded down with all kinds of accessories as a package deal. ( windshield, floorboards, saddlebags with the chrome protector rails around them, passenger backrest, and luggage rack, and a nicer one piece seat ).
The nice thing about the 07, is that with all these options, it was about the same price as I paid for the 05. Nice to see that the price of some things has come down. Rademis

Hi Danny and welcome. No one other than the dealers have ridden the Touring model. They won't arrive at dealerships until Jan or Feb. My dealer said at the national dealer's meeting they had several Touring models and also a HD Roadking to ride for comparison. He said even with the lower power it still was 10x's better than the RK. The Classic Tourer is -as Rademis stated- the same as a Classic model it just comes with extra bling.

Tourer...

Touring...

Ah.....TourER and TourING. Now I see. From what I see in the pictures I think I might be partial to the TourING model. I like those hard bags and lower profile fuel tank (although I prefer the bar mounted gauges of the TourER). Even with the lowered horsepower it probably still will be able to run with the Tiger. I would hope that Triumph will have dealt with the lower camshaft sprocket keyway and output shaft bearing issues on the '08s. But it did take Triumph years to deal with the rear wheel spoke breakage issues on the Bonneville line......if in fact they have dealt with it.

Back