HELP!!! Hesitation, engine light, now no power.

RIchareno

.020 Over
Ride
2009 Triumph Rocket III Classic
So today I was returning from visiting my sons at college. I was riding about 85-90 on the interstate and suddenly the speedo dropped from 90 to 20 and the bike started hesitating. I had just filled up. For the next 5 minutes or so the speedo would periodically jump back to 80+ and it would run fine then 60 seconds later do it again. The engine light came on about 10 miles from home so I limped it home doing this cycle of running fine followed by 20mph reading and serious hesitation. As I entered town I had to feather the throttle (and run stop signs) so it didn't die because anything below 2500 rpms and it wanted to stall. I managed to make it into the driveway, turned it off, and it wouldn't restart. Nothing. No lights, no fuel pump, no neutral indicator, nothing. No power at all. It obviously has to be something electrical, but I'm have no mechanical skills at all. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

It sounds electrical to me...maybe spray contact cleaner into the clutch switch...i know corrosion can build up in there which creates starting problems...it might be something simple like this....try pulling the clutch lever in and out a few times while holding the starter switch down, if the bike suddenly starts its a good indicator the switch is either dirty or faulty.

The greater the number of items that don't power up, the closer to the source of power is the problem. Check battery terminals, battery voltage, etc. If the voltage is low then charge the battery and see if it starts and then use a voltmeter to make sure that the battery is charging.

The fact that the lights don't work and are not just dim makes me suspect a connection is loose, but the battery may still be flat as a result of that.

Ignition switch ?
That's my guess. The 09 had it's headlight powered thru the ignition barrel and that setup was notorious for melting solder joints from 04 to 2010 (when they corrected the problem at the factory). If the battery checks out good check the ignition barrel next.

Update. I charged the battery overnight and took it off the charger this morning. I took it in late this afternoon to get it tested and it was fine. Last night when I plugged in the trickle charger, the bike started right up, but ran rough. It's still showing a check engine light. How can I pull that code? Thanks, guys!

So I'm thinking a bad ground. There is one coming off the battery, but isn't there nother?

Back