Help - Fuelbot Speedo/Odo

barbagris

Mad Scientist
Ride
1979 Guzzi V1000G5 - 2018 KTM 790 Duke
Has anybody ever opened up a fuelbot?

Any idea how to open one up. Mine has a water ingress issue.

It keeps trying to reset and has changed to miles. The bike had to sit in rain at the ferry port and despite current sun all it does is condense inside. I thought I might try filing of a corner and see what happens - but if there is a better way - thought somebody might know.

The Bot changes and resets or lights all white or no light or asks for intervention. The capacitive switch is working overtime.

When it does a reset the OEM speedo/odo stops working. So it is knackering the pulses from the speed sensor. I suspect a false earth caused by water in the box. If all else fails I'll cut the wires to the fuelbot. But would rather not. The bugger is I am at mums in the UK with no tools near enough.

Please - if poss let me have info by email chrisjw@protonmail.com as I am having massive issues getting a stable connection to the web. Also if anybody can confirm me the wire colour from the Fuelbot that attaches to the speed sensor wire and the colour of the triumph speed sensor wire it would help enormously.

Chris

:oops: I forgot there is a quick disconnect plug. Disconnected and whilst obviously the fuelbot is now off, the speedo and odo work correctly and the bike seems to be a bit smoother (so the PCV was probably getting poor signal and did not know which gear it was in :banghead: ). Mind you at 1% throttle god knows why the ECU cares. UK traffic - I keep forgetting how much there is.

Why wouldn't you find the FuelBot guy in cyberspace and ask him ? Seems odd to market something to the motorcycle community and not take into account weather exposure.

OK - Ken (@DEcosse ) had the mail for David (the mfr) - thank you sir!

The bot SHOULD be 100% waterproof. But there may well be an issue where the beast can get VERY hot (on the top of the tank in the sun would be an example :whitstling: ) - and then gets cooled and doused in water all at the same time. It then seems that the bond glass/plastic (JB weld) can fail. As in my case this results in the glass actually being covered by water - the cooling sucks water in.

So I have drilled a small drain hole (whence escaped a good 0.25cc of water) and disconnected the bot and am leaving it on my mums kitchen table to dry out fully. Had I remembered it had a QD plug I would have unplugged at the ferry port and put it in my jacket - we live and learn.

It was more a panic as the water inside the bot was messing up the Speed sensor pulses so the ECU cannot detect speed - and therefore the speedo/odo does not move. And for those of us using map/gear on the PCV it thought it was in 1st (PCV default).

I have had a water ingress problem as well. The manufacturer is aware of the issue. He suggested to remove the mounting screws from the rear and use a hair dryer to warm the unit and expel the moisture.
He said a batch had been made with a poor front glass seal. I have managed to dry mine out and the problem has not re appeared at this time.
He did offer a refund or replacement when he builds some more. If it leaks again I will probably hit him up for a replacement.

Last edited:
Back