Good lift points?

1BigDog

Gone to the Dogs!
Ride
Size 12 Bates, extra wide
I swiped this pic from an old thread. My question is: is this a safe way to lift the R3T without doing any damage to the engine? Good balance point for changing tires? I wanted to come up with some type of framework for the bike/lift but the jack just barely slides under the engine as it is. I already saved the plans for the adapter that kinda looks like a trailer hitch for a future project.

I lift mine up and place it on four jack stands on the peg rails then I work on pulling tires. When she is in the basement I use a chain fall from the 12 inch I beam in the base ment very sturdy and safe. dropping one and having to pick it up when your scrawny like me sux!!!!

Keep in mind the way he is lifting it the bike still has the cat box on it. it will be different if you don't

Skip used to sell some brackets here that work very well. There is also a paddock stand available from Flipmeister Products that works on a cam and leverage principal and is actuated with a half inch drive breaker bar. Thats a lot of bike up on a jack.

Thanks for all of your responses. I like the Flipmeister stand and ill probably be ordering one soon. On my Venture the engine hung down between the frame rails so a member over on that forum had designed a rectangular square tube bracket with tabs welded on each corner that fit into some part of the frame and the whole bracket then was attached to the loops underneath where a center stand would have gone. The R3 engine is a bit lower than that, making my idea of an attachable frame useless. A fabricator friend of mine is going to come over soon and look the situation over and maybe have a good solution. But for now, as long as the engine can support the weight of the bike ill have to go that way if I need to. Yes, I also strap my bikes to the lift. I mount my own tires so I need to come up with something before the next tire replacement.

I swiped this pic from an old thread. My question is: is this a safe way to lift the R3T without doing any damage to the engine? Good balance point for changing tires? I wanted to come up with some type of framework for the bike/lift but the jack just barely slides under the engine as it is. I already saved the plans for the adapter that kinda looks like a trailer hitch for a future project.

On the stand, the brace that is closest to the rear tire, what is it supporting or what part of the bike is sitting on it.

It seemed that when I slid my stand under there, it would end up lifting on the the catalytic converter and that doesn't seem right???
In the picture I attached, the stand is as far back on the engine block as I could get it. It was very back heavy.
Suggestions?

IMAG0414.jpg

I use a 2x4 in the back which makes it lift evenly. The 2 frame mounts with the holes in them is centered on the piece of wood.

I still think a small lift under that bike even when strapped is a gamble:oops: the minute you start either torquing a bolt of trying to loosen up something it would not take much so see the supporting bracket slide and move . I used a similar lift for a year and never was comfortable with the idea .
Now I use a commercial grade lift table my comfort level went way up. no more ***ss puckering

Back