Good Karma, emergency braking

Boog

Traveling Story Teller
Ride
2014 R3T, RAMAIR, Full Viking Dual exhaust
Yesterday, after making that post on the what happened thread (video of the Sportster rider going down after locking the back brake), I told Brahma how much I appreciated him and his prowess as my steed of choice. Two minutes later, karma struck.

I was turning left from the traffic light with a Camry in front of me. Half way through the turn, he braked because a pedestrian was still in the crosswalk. No worries, I just rolled off the throttle as I wasn’t too close to him yet. My attention was on the pedestrian as I noticed the Camry brake lights go off in my peripheral vision. (My alibi at this point; she had a really short skirt and it was fairly chilly that morning. I was impressed that she looked so confident, that is all). Anyway, I got back on the throttle and swung my eyes forward to proceed to the next light when low and behold, the Camry was stopping again. Here is where I love the balance and ABS of the R3T! I grabbed a hand full of front brakes and stood on the back while clutching and down shifting despite still being in first. This turd in front of me decided to turn right into the first drive after the cross walk and didn’t use his indicator. Brahma didn’t kiss the bumper but he was puckered up for it. I missed by maybe 6 inches. I hope I looked cool doing this as I didn’t even put my feet down after the stop, just rolled on as the Camry cleared the lane.
My lesson learned here:
Practice emergency stopping, one never knows when it will happen
Even with Hippo Hands hiding the handlebars, instinct rule the day.
Forget about being a heterosexual male when riding (I’ll always fail this one)

Alway respct your machine, it will return the favor!

Wow, glad to hear nothing happened!! Surrounded by idiots at all times, even knowing that they still surprise you now and then with their stupidity and ignorance!

I had a turd to something very similar a few months ago.

On my way home from work I was behind a big diesel pick-up. He had been hammering that noisy smoking thing away from the lights and through traffic.
We both were turning on a road that has a long "on ramp" style yield lane for right hand turns. The light for the cross traffic had just turned green and there was plenty of time for a few cars to go ahead and accelerate in front of the oncoming traffic.
He hits the gas the truck coughs a big cloud and takes off. I throttle into the curve and balance my attention between him and the oncoming traffic to make sure there isn't a speed racer giving it everything he's got away from the light.
The pick-up enters the first lane and crossed over into the second.

My mistake was thinking he was going to continue in that lane or at least maintain the speed he was going.
So; I go ahead and give her a bit more throttle to get to speed and since the traffic is at my 7:00 now; I turn my head for one last look.
When I look back in front of me he's about halfway back into my lane braking hard. I was lucky I was on my Voyager with ABS. I grabbed a hand full of front brake and stomped the rear. The whole bike shook and pulsed and I though for sure I was going to hit him.
Yeah he turned into a parking lot on the right.

Scared me pretty good. I keep needing to add idiotic things to be cautious of. :mad:

Scott

While I agree that the ability to stop and maintain control is important, what is crucial is leaving sufficient room to not need to in the first place. Never assume anyone is going to do anything because they likely will surprise you. I've learn a lot about leaving space. To the point where I am much better at it even when driving my truck

Riding in Houston traffic this type thing happens all too often. It no longer even registers on my internal radar as $hit to worry about. As a matter of fact if I ride to work or home without encountering at least one d!ckhe@d in traffic...THAT registers as an unusual ride. Glad it all worked out for you

ABS is a WONDERFUL thing, @Boog!
Will never have another motor without it!

My lesson regarding this was watching a Buddy (in front of me) plow into the rear of another Buddy (in front 1st Buddy).
We were making a sharp right turn onto a 60 mph highway with limited sight distance caused by a sharp curve.
Both were carefully looking left for approaching traffic. 1st Buddy started to proceed and half way into his turn, suddenly changed his mind and stopped because of a fast approaching car coming round the curve.
The 2nd Buddy was still looking left and "Brokebacked" 1st Buddy. (hint, Brokeback Mountain)
The $600 damage to 1st Buddy's motor was a fair lump of embarrassment not to mention the $300 damage to 2nd Buddy!

Yesterday, after making that post on the what happened thread (video of the Sportster rider going down after locking the back brake), I told Brahma how much I appreciated him and his prowess as my steed of choice. Two minutes later, karma struck.

I was turning left from the traffic light with a Camry in front of me. Half way through the turn, he braked because a pedestrian was still in the crosswalk. No worries, I just rolled off the throttle as I wasn’t too close to him yet. My attention was on the pedestrian as I noticed the Camry brake lights go off in my peripheral vision. (My alibi at this point; she had a really short skirt and it was fairly chilly that morning. I was impressed that she looked so confident, that is all). Anyway, I got back on the throttle and swung my eyes forward to proceed to the next light when low and behold, the Camry was stopping again. Here is where I love the balance and ABS of the R3T! I grabbed a hand full of front brakes and stood on the back while clutching and down shifting despite still being in first. This turd in front of me decided to turn right into the first drive after the cross walk and didn’t use his indicator. Brahma didn’t kiss the bumper but he was puckered up for it. I missed by maybe 6 inches. I hope I looked cool doing this as I didn’t even put my feet down after the stop, just rolled on as the Camry cleared the lane.
My lesson learned here:
Practice emergency stopping, one never knows when it will happen
Even with Hippo Hands hiding the handlebars, instinct rule the day.
Forget about being a heterosexual male when riding (I’ll always fail this one)

Alway respct your machine, it will return the favor!
Those Virginia Girls can certainly get your attention!! I'm from Annandale, Boog....where abouts are you? Oh..glad you and your ride escaped any damage!!

Back