Going to do some Rocket Drag Racing at FireBird

Idaho Red Rocket 3

Living Legend
Ride
2006 RIII Standard Bagger w/Fairing
I am going drag racing today at FireBird Raceway here in Idaho. They have limited admittance to 100 folks. This should be good for getting in several extra runs today. Lets hope the rain holds off as it is threatening rain right now.

Going to compete against my buddies 1200 Thruxton R he has modified with pipes, cam and tune. He will most likely smoke me like he always does. I have only beaten him on that bike once. It was after I stripped off 100 pounds of accessories. I crossed the finish line .0015 seconds ahead of him. What can I say ? He had a bad launch on that run. Hey a win is a win.

Have fun! I've done a few Test & Tune passes on my bike at Bradenton Motorsports Park here in Florida. My problem is getting a decent launch. But it is still fun.

We're looking forward to the Miami-Homestead Speedway opening back up so my wife and I can do the same with her Dodge Challenger. It's her car and she's been working on her launch skills... which is how I beat her once... just once... in my rather peppy '16 F-150. :roll: Unfortunately, they don't allow bikes on the track...

Have FUN! :cool:
-MIG

Well finally got some time off to up-date my results. I stripped the Rocket again. Even took the 3 mufflers off once I got to the track. Save about 140 pounds off the gross weight. So about 740 lbs for the bike. Rain delayed our start so only got 3 runs in. First run had a great launch. Got out in front of my buddies 1200 Thruxton R but I blew it after that. Hit the rev limiter in first then missed the shift to second and hit the rev limiter in second as I watched my buddy go past me. Second run was better but left the starting line to slow worried about missing shifts and hitting the rev limiter. Didn't do either but just slow off the line. Third run was my best but as run 1 and run 2 I still lost to the 1200 R. I got 12.5 seconds at just under 112. See video attached of run 3.

Waiting in line in the staging lane waiting for 1st race. That is my buddy Jerry on his 2016 1200 Thruxton R.
Rocket Racing.JPG

First Race launch with me out in front. But it went south just a second later with the missed shift and hitting the rev limiter in 1st and 2nd. BUGGERS !
Rocket Racing Thruxton 1st Run.JPG

Last edited:
I am going drag racing today at FireBird Raceway here in Idaho. They have limited admittance to 100 folks. This should be good for getting in several extra runs today. Lets hope the rain holds off as it is threatening rain right now.

Going to compete against my buddies 1200 Thruxton R he has modified with pipes, cam and tune. He will most likely smoke me like he always does. I have only beaten him on that bike once. It was after I stripped off 100 pounds of accessories. I crossed the finish line .0015 seconds ahead of him. What can I say ? He had a bad launch on that run. Hey a win is a win.
Carpenter can fix this for you. ;)

I wouldn’t have thought a Thruxton would out run a Rocket. Is it a weight related advantage?

Well finally got some time off to up-date my results. I stripped the Rocket again. Even took the 3 mufflers off once I got to the track. Save about 140 pounds off the gross weight. So about 740 lbs for the bike. Rain delayed our start so only got 3 runs in. First run had a great launch. Got out in front of my buddies 1200 Thruxton R but I blew it after that. Hit the rev limiter in first then missed the shift to second and hit the rev limiter in second as I watched my buddy go past me. Second run was better but left the starting line to slow worried about missing shifts and hitting the rev limiter. Didn't do either but just slow off the line. Third run was my best but as run 1 and run 2 I still lost to the 1200 R. I got 12.5 seconds at just under 112. See video attached of run 3.

Waiting in line in the staging lane waiting for 1st race. That is my buddy Jerry on his 2016 1200 Thruxton R.
Rocket Racing.JPG

First Race launch with me out in front. But it went south just a second later with the missed shift and hitting the rev limiter in 1st and 2nd. BUGGERS !
Rocket Racing Thruxton 1st Run.JPG
What was your 1/8 mile ET and speed?

Back