Front rim paint chips

Xsannz

.040 Over
Ride
2021 Rocket 3 r
So I'm 1200km into ownership.

And today just about broke my hear, are these stone chips or deflections from stones?

And holy God is their paint thick on these rims.

Attachments

• 20220915_173252.jpg
    20220915_173252.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 37
  • 20220915_173247.jpg
    20220915_173247.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 36
So I'm 1200km into ownership.

And today just about broke my hear, are these stone chips or deflections from stones?

And holy God is their paint thick on these rims.
I had a similar problem....big chip in the front rim from who knows what?...i used 'Selley's Knead It'...its a polymer repair compound a bit like a putty that goes rock hard. You need to be quick and dont mess about putting it on. Get it smooth from the start and you can then paint over it....comes out pretty good depending on your skills....You will definitely source it on Ebay if you cant find any locally.

I had a similar problem....big chip in the front rim from who knows what?...i used 'Selley's Knead It'...its a polymer repair compound a bit like a putty that goes rock hard. You need to be quick and dont mess about putting it on. Get it smooth from the start and you can then paint over it....comes out pretty good depending on your skills....You will definitely source it on Ebay if you cant find any locally.
danm, well maybe this will be the motivation to find me some GT rims :p or some aftermarket wire spoke rims :p

put as quote in with my triumph dealers preferred panel shop to see if they can repaint the rim for me.. if i had done 10 thou or more km i wouldnt be so OCD about it, but at 1200km its gonna bug the **** out of me, especially since its to raw metal in 2 spots.

put as quote in with my triumph dealers preferred panel shop to see if they can repaint the rim for me.. if i had done 10 thou or more km i wouldnt be so OCD about it, but at 1200km its gonna bug the **** out of me, especially since its to raw metal in 2 spots.
im hearin that!...i was really f**ked off when i saw mine!!...i wondered where the hell it got damaged but must have either been a stone or a lump of metal i ran over or something but i think i would have seen and heard it...but no...
20210823_125214.jpg
20210823_123703.jpg

Last edited:
Big mistake getting them painted unless you’re gonna get them Powdercoated it’s way more durable than two pack paint

Big mistake getting them painted unless you’re gonna get them Powdercoated it’s way more durable than two pack paint
I've had 2 pack painted rims before survive 20 thousand kms on my sp1 without issue, but these are piss poor quality wise, and I'd say they are single stage painted by the looks

Wh

What happened to you paint protection? Failed on the wheels ?
Ceramic coating stop scratches and things, but the dealership has come to the conclusion that there were defects in the paint as it has chipped out in several. Areas in a circular pattern from the edge some as big as a 2 dollar coin, they are thinking that it came from impacts or road wear like bumps causing it.

Who knows they have decided to cover it under warranty, I mean I've had bikes I've painted in 2k do 10 to 15 thou and never chip like that, I've had 15 plus bikes over the last 20 years and never once had issues like this.

Ceramic coating on the rest of the bike is great bugs just rinse off and no stone chips headlights look new, but again only just up to 1800km.

But then again I'd expect pointed comments from you, so if your trying to get a reaction walk on by.

Ceramic coating stop scratches and things, but the dealership has come to the conclusion that there were defects in the paint as it has chipped out in several. Areas in a circular pattern from the edge some as big as a 2 dollar coin, they are thinking that it came from impacts or road wear like bumps causing it.

Who knows they have decided to cover it under warranty, I mean I've had bikes I've painted in 2k do 10 to 15 thou and never chip like that, I've had 15 plus bikes over the last 20 years and never once had issues like this.

Ceramic coating on the rest of the bike is great bugs just rinse off and no stone chips headlights look new, but again only just up to 1800km.

But then again I'd expect pointed comments from you, so if your trying to get a reaction walk on by.
What do you mean by pointed comments? I’ve been in the panel beating and spray painting game for over 30 years , I’m a bit of a sceptic when it comes to paint protection. So expensive.

Back