Front Fork Oil Weight

pjl52

.040 Over
About to have a set of Progressive front fork springs fitted and am trying to decide what weight of oil to use, the manual states 5w oil but some seem to recommend to go up to 10w oil. I am basically looking for comfort more so than handling prowesss, do you think that the 5w would be okay or should I go up to the 10w oil, also is there a particular brand of oil that is preferable (hopefully available in Oz)?

Thanks
Peter

When I had the dealer install my Progressive fork springs I had them put 15w. Seems to work good in mine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had heavier oil put in mine when I fitted the Proggressive springs. The next time it went in I reverted to stock oil. I ride like a tw@, but I like to feel the front loading and unloading. It might just be me. :lol:

I just got mine back from the dealer who installed the new fork springs and the Progressive 440s on the rear. I went with 20 weight and they seem good. The dealer and his mechanic were a little sceptical but give it the thumbs up after a test ride.

higher the number the harder it will be oil is cheep have a play you won't hurt it

This is purely up to the individual.When i first put wilbers proggresives in mine i went with the heavier grade but there was no feel so i went back to standard weight.I prefered the standard weight Changeing the springs wasnt a lot different.

Back