My 18 roadster has a pretty good shake to the bars between 40 and 50 right now. I thought i may not have done a good job balancing the tire as i did it myself but i had the shop put a back on and rebalance the front and it was slightly worse after they "rebalanced" it. My fjr had the same problem and I replaced the tire and it went away. My solution is to just keep one hand on the bars at all times.

My 888 started to scallop bad just after 5000 miles and was showing cords at approx 7000 miles in places but still was not at tread wear limits. I swapped it for Cobra Chrome, what a difference dropping into turns :)

Guys here is a news flash. Triumph does not lube the headstock bearings. If you look at the section in the manual about swing arm bearings and buy a new set they clearly state Lube the bearings. The same factory rust prevent will be on your headstock as well as your swing arm bearings. This is not a grease lube. Just a factory preventive rust coating. Why Triumph does this I have no clue. They should be shot or better yet let the executives of Triumph ride out a wobble at 100 plus. Screw the tire ordeal. Take it apart and apply some real lube. Means packing the bearings. Did this after only 10,000 miles and never looked back. Now at 69,000 miles on a 2015 Rocket X ready to replace all. Well already did.

Last edited:
Guys here is a news flash. Triumph does not lube the headstock bearings. If you look at the section in the manual about swing arm bearings and buy a new set they clearly state Lupe the bearings. The same factory rust prevent will be on your headstock as well as your swing arm bearings. This is not a grease lube. Just a factory preventive rust coating. Why Triumph does this I have no clue. They should be shot or better yet let the executives of Triumph ride out a wobble at 100 plus. Screw the tire ordeal. Take it apart and apply some real lube. Means packing the bearings. Did this after only 10,000 miles and never looked back. Now at 69,000 miles on a 2015 Rocket X ready to replace all. Well already did.
I think I'll take her in and have the steering head bearings inspected and lubed, then see if that eliminates the front end shimmy. I'd rather not replace a tire that has plenty of life left.

Back