Walking Tall

.060 Over
Ride
2018 Phantom Black R3R
I have my '18 R3R at a reputable local shop (Mickey Cohen Motorsports) for suspension upgrades and to solve a front end shimmy issue on decel. According to Mick, the problem is a flat spot on the OEM Metzler from the bike sitting too long in between rides. He's replacing it with an Avon (I believe) and that will fix the problem, according to him. In the meantime my bike's been tied up at his shop for almost 2 weeks, waiting for the new tire. My question is, does anyone else besides me think that a new tire is NOT going to correct the issue? My bike has less than 3k miles on it. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I would bet that at the 500 mile check headstock was not adjusted. From the factory the headstock is set but requires adjustment around 500 to 1,000 miles do to break end. I would say that headstock was adjusted this time along with New Front Tire.

Not saying it's not possible but I haven't had that problem on any of my Gen 1 Rockets with the OEM Metzler and they sit in an unheated garage and shed for 6 months straight during the harsh Maine winters. Also haven't had that on any of my other bikes that are sitting that long with different new or OEM tires of various brands... 🤔

Just to balance the equation, I had a bad 140R17 Avon Cobra (pre-Chrome).

It had a wobble at 37-39MPH. A new tire fixed mine.

PS. The narrower tire did help in the twisties but was not as good as a smaller diameter.

I had bad cupping on one side of the metz on mine...headstock was fine and had the same wobble as everyone else at around 60kmh down to 40ish...problem went away with a new Avon but came back after 5000km and the pattern has repeated ever since...I've had 5 fronts so far (I probably over inflate the front most of the time)

I would bet that at the 500 mile check headstock was not adjusted. From the factory the headstock is set but requires adjustment around 500 to 1,000 miles do to break end. I would say that headstock was adjusted this time along with New Front Tire.
That's what I'd seen on the internet. MCM's idea that it's caused by a flat spot on the OEM front tire seems far fetched to me. I will be upset if after spending money on a new tire, the bike still exhibits the same issue.

My 2 cents
At 50,000 i have been through a few front tires some with a small minor shake and one did a tank slapper with your hands off the bar.
I had a habit of getting up to 50 then remembering i forgot to put my sun glasses on so i would let go of the bars
Throttle closed and put on my shades and the tank slaper cured that bad habit lol
I think the bike has a habit of weaving at low speed (hands off the bars)
Just my opinion
I though about setting the front with just a slight drag to see if this would elimimanate the problem but i never did that i just keep at least one hand on the bar also every new tire i take it up to 50 then release my grip and let slow keeping hands close to bars so i could stop a tank slapper before it got bad.

Back