snuffcityrider

Living Legend
Has anybody installed the Triumph fog lights themselves? Is it easy, or is it worth the $90 that the dealer wants to charge? Thanks.

Fog or Driving

Snuff....... What I don't understand is if they're fog lights, shouldn't they be mounted quite low on the front forks to project the beam under the fog? I wonder if they're really extra driving lights when they sit that high since aiming them down wouldn't get the beam far enough in front of you and aiming them forward would only make a greater reflection from the fog. Somebody explain......please!

Snuff....... What I don't understand is if they're fog lights, shouldn't they be mounted quite low on the front forks to project the beam under the fog? I wonder if they're really extra driving lights when they sit that high since aiming them down wouldn't get the beam far enough in front of you and aiming them forward would only make a greater reflection from the fog. Somebody explain......please!
That makes sense, maybe they should call them driving lights. I need them more for Bambi than for fog. My ride to work is in the dark both ways ( except in the summer) and I usally see deer every day.

Last edited:
I had the lights mounted on the bike when I bought it, it doesn't look like that big a deal to install them. I don't ride a lot at night, but on the way to work I have used them before daylight and found that they really won't do much in the fog, but they do light up both sides of the road directly ahead. They are good for deer.
Dave
06 Classic R&W

Looking at the wiring diagram there is an accesory plug for the lights, more than likely it's under the gas tank. So you wouldn't have to do any splicing, mainly assembly and mounting. I'd give it a go, you can always box up the parts and haul it to the dealer.:D

Another Idea

Snuff....... If you need a great bright and white light in front of you..... try changing your headlight bulbs to PIAA H4 Extreme White Plus 60W/55W. It's also an anti vibration bulb and it sure made a difference. They're around $50 each. Might be cheaper than the extra lights. When the mechanic was changing them out he did one and left the other original bulb. Turned on the lights and WOW......you could really see the difference between them. Anyway, just a way to see Bambi a bit sooner.

Snuff....... If you need a great bright and white light in front of you..... try changing your headlight bulbs to PIAA H4 Extreme White Plus 60W/55W. It's also an anti vibration bulb and it sure made a difference. They're around $50 each. Might be cheaper than the extra lights. When the mechanic was changing them out he did one and left the other original bulb. Turned on the lights and WOW......you could really see the difference between them. Anyway, just a way to see Bambi a bit sooner.
Thanks, I changed them to the ones that NewR3 is selling (Euro Dezigns 8500K Xenon Krypton), and they where an improvement. Now I'm wondering if the one that you speak of is better yet?:confused:

Apples to watermelons! I tried a set of the kryptons from the R3 site, then went and got a pair of the PIAA's. I run a PIAA in my Trophy (8 years and counting) and have yet to find a better bulb. Bigern

Looking at the wiring diagram there is an accesory plug for the lights, more than likely it's under the gas tank. So you wouldn't have to do any splicing, mainly assembly and mounting. I'd give it a go, you can always box up the parts and haul it to the dealer.:D

I switched to a Xenon 9003. I'm not impressed.

Along with that there silencer upgrade I went in debt for a Fog Light setup. There's a 1/2x1/2 (mol) white plastic plug under the left side cover. It has a spring type clasp on it. What is that for? I'd like to think the fog light interface is under the tank:rolleyes:

I expect the "fog" light beam is wide and vertically shallow. They best be anyway!

I too have issues with Bambi on either my 4am or 8pm work day commutes. I've searched into deer alert devices. One particular model has two airflow intakes in the same small housing. I gave thought to mounting it center under the engine. But I'm not sure of the adhesive holding against the engine heat. I mounted instead a couple of the most familiar small individual plastic chrome "whistles" under the right lower radiator surround. Tucked up tight and not unsightly at all.

There is a device called a Hornet Deer Alert that looks to use an electrical hookup to produce a sound pressure of 120db to help alert the deer, dogs or whatever gets in your way. (except Mack trucks!:eek: ) Bigern

Back