Okay I finally got around to fitting some OEM floorboards to my 08 standard, I really like them and find them much more comfortable than the pegs. Not sure about the heel toe shifter as yet, I am tending just to use the toe bit for changing, using the heel for changing up didn't feel natural; some more riding is in order I feel.

Btw, thanks for comments and help with the choices.

Peter

The Triumph parts are listed as "classic" and just floor boards ... which set did you end up with?
I ordered the set marked "classic" and they just arrived, have not had the chance to install them yet. I'm amazed at the parts included ... brake lines, side stand, bars etc .

I've many, many bikes and it's been probably around 50/50 in terms of percentage with pegs or floorboards. I don't really have a preference. For me, location is more critical. Additionally, most people that have floorboards put on highway "pegs". The only setup I really have disdain for is forward controls on Harleys. Those **** things put the rider in a clam position; good for bar hopping, but not much else.

I installed the floor boards (Classic kit) today, very easy job considering the parts don't come with any kind of instructions. It came with a new brake line with a slightly different bend since the master cyl gets lowered a little. I looked it over good and decided that just tweeking the original line a tad was better than opening up the system. Really the only tricky part was figuring out which way the springs go that put downward tension on the boards. The manual wasn't any help at all, but with a little trial and error I found the right holes for the spring ends to seat into.
The kit also came with a new chrome cover for the right side over the brake fluid resevoir, it's identical to the original so I didn't use it either.
I adjusted the brake pedal and shifter where it seemed the most comfortable and functional, but I'm curious how you guys with boards have yours adjusted.
How high do you have the brake pedal above the board?
How do you have the heal-toe shifter adjusted? I set mine up so that the front worked just like the old one, where I can upshift with my toe If I want. how do you guys have yours? :confused:

If anyone is interested in pegs, I got a set for sale now.

pete,
I started out with an '07 standard.
Bought the floorboards as soon as I could.
Wouldn't go back, no reason to.
Kind of like a darkside tire,
The change was good and I won't be going back.

As usual I agree with skipper.

I've been wanting floorboards for quite a while now. Last year I tried a set of the Rivco's and didn't care for them at all. The angle is too flat and there is no return spring so if you lift them up for whatever reason, they will not fall back into position. It made for some awkward moments.

Last month, however, I scored a new set of Triumph boards (std kit, not the classic) off of fleabay. The install was quite straightforward including the brake line replacement. I was very apprehensive about performing this part of the install since I had never been taught how to properly bleed a brake line. Fortunately, the instructions helped me figure out the process and it went well. All the fitting of the parts was very easy.

One of my complaints about the standard peg arrangement was the height of the brake pedal. I would litterally have to raise my foot off the peg to apply the brake even after making adjustments. With the new boards, the brake pedal placement is about perfect.

I'm still adjusting the gear shifter to my liking. The rear stomp for an upshift just doesn't feel natural. We'll see on what I end up with.

The Triumph parts are listed as "classic" and just floor boards ... which set did you end up with?
I ordered the set marked "classic" and they just arrived, have not had the chance to install them yet. I'm amazed at the parts included ... brake lines, side stand, bars etc .

I bought them from MADSS (Product ID: A9758085 Description: Footboard Kit) they didn't come with a sidestand but did come with a set of comprehensive instructions. The whole removal and re-fit took about two hours including bleeding the rear brakes.

Wrt the shifter, I have adjusted it so that I can use it as a normal toe shifter, I would have used the standard shifter but it wouldn't fit; looking forward to a longer ride this weekend.

Next project will be shockies, probably Hagons or Progressives.

Last edited:
I've been wanting floorboards for quite a while now. Last year I tried a set of the Rivco's and didn't care for them at all. The angle is too flat and there is no return spring so if you lift them up for whatever reason, they will not fall back into position. It made for some awkward moments.

Last month, however, I scored a new set of Triumph boards (std kit, not the classic) off of fleabay. The install was quite straightforward including the brake line replacement. I was very apprehensive about performing this part of the install since I had never been taught how to properly bleed a brake line. Fortunately, the instructions helped me figure out the process and it went well. All the fitting of the parts was very easy.

One of my complaints about the standard peg arrangement was the height of the brake pedal. I would litterally have to raise my foot off the peg to apply the brake even after making adjustments. With the new boards, the brake pedal placement is about perfect.

I'm still adjusting the gear shifter to my liking. The rear stomp for an upshift just doesn't feel natural. We'll see on what I end up with.
I adjusted the front of the shifter just like it would be if the rear wasn't there, that lowered the rear quite low so the "stomp" works without raising your foot very high. Seems to work ok, I think I could get used to it eventually.
I frequently wear steel toe boots so the front has to be a little higher than usual.

Been debating with myself (a one sided debate) whether to change from pegs to floorboards on my 08 standard, I recently went for a ride on an R3T and found the floorboards more comfortable than what I thought they would be.

What do you guys think of the floorboards versus the pegs, replies from owners that have had both would be of particular interest? Also, opinions on OEM versus Kuryakyn or Rivco would be helpful.

Thanks

Peter
hi mate i had pegs,but like you i tried the footboards,brill alot more comfy, hooked so i bought them, never looked back. hope this helps you decide

floorboards

Peter, I had the same debate I bought my Rocket with floorboards and wanted to charge to the pegs and every one was telling me to give the floorboards a chance that I will like them better then the pegs.
Well I never had the pegs on the Rocket but I am glad I didn't change I really like the floorbaords.
Kevin

Back