First ride since knee replacement surgery

Always had an eye for the 1200 C. I like the ivory color. After looking at several and taking some test rides I like the bike. However the reviews and history of the model keep me away from it.

Thanks guys, it was a good day and a milestone for me. The Rocket is next but I'll wait a bit for that. I might even get my wife out in the sidecar rig this summer.

Prestaged, on the 1200C, it is reliable, like most BMWs but does take a bit more maintenance than other bikes. Valve adjustment is the big one every 5k or so. The big issue with them is lack of parts availability. I found some other issues after I bought that would have changed my mind about purchasing.

-Fuel tank seal coat separation. I've never seen this on any other bike. It's not real common I don't believe but it has happened to enough of them that to me it's something to be very wary of.
-Rear turn signal stems. They are plastic and break. After market metal ones are available at times for about $90. Same with the front.
-ABS. Many for sale have non-operable ABS'
-Transmission output shaft. The transmission output shaft does not go all the way into the clutch basket which has caused some failures. It's a design flaw with no explanation of how BMW could have screwed this up. There is a very expensive required service to lube the splines about every 45k miles to prevent it. It requires dismantling half the bike to do a 2 minute spline lube. I's about a 6-8 hour job. It has led to output shaft teeth rounding off, with replacing the shaft another big job.
-Unique handle bars. The C comes with three different handlebar options, the mini-apes as in the James Bond movie, European bars and the ones I have which are sometimes referred to as "Police" bars. I didn't like the apes but was able to find a fairly low cost set of police bars and was fortunate to do so. To me they need a bar back, which is no longer available. Also, the bars are unique, having different center and bar end dimensions. Thus, nothing else fits them.
-The stock exhausts can develop a rattle upon startup which is attributed to broken baffle. They cannot be repaired and are very expensive to replace. I run Bubs on mine which sound great but are no longer available.

On the up side it's very torquey, handles well and is fun to ride. If I had it to do again, I'd probably walk away. Both previous owners are friends of mine and I got a very good deal on it but.........
Interesting read. Thanks.

I First saw the 1200C at the Javits center at the January bike show in the late 90's, I guess when it first came out.
Back then I hadn't yet bought any bike and was lusting for one and that Beemer made quite an impression.

Very glad you are back in the saddle.
Take it slow my man, take it slow.

Mike:

Thank you for taking the time provide the info on your 1200C. I had a K1600 GTL for about a year and, although that bike did some things REALLY well, there were a number of things about it that disappointed me. So I am a little gun shy regarding purchasing another BMW. Thanks again!

It's been a cold, snowy winter and a bit of a painful one for me since I had my left knee replaced in late October of last year. I got out once or twice on my sidecar rig but it was a bit premature, since I twisted the knee and paid for it the next day.

Today was a spectacularly beautiful day though and I resolved to get out on two wheels. I tried to pull the Rocket out of the Condor chock but couldn't do it. It was for the best since I'd probably drop it trying to turn it around in the crushed rock in front of the shop.

My BMW R1200C is kept in my garage with my sidecar rig so decided that was the one to ride. I wrapped my new knee tightly before backing the bike out of the garage very carefully. I had to maneuver around some snow still in the driveway but finally got it down to the street. Since it's been a little over four months since the surgery, I was a little nervous, being concerned that I'd damage my new titanium artificial knee. The knee joint is pretty weak on these things for about a year and it let me know it.

In any event, I rode out and about with a good friend who was critically injured two years ago on his Indian Chieftain when a dim bulb young girl turned left in front of him while texting. I took care of Cam back then, getting him home from the hospital and to his physical therapy appointments, and he's been very attentive to me since my surgery.

Any day on two wheels is a great day, even if it hurts just a wee bit.
First Ride Post Surgery.jpg

I'm candidate for knee replacement but, scared *hitless of the post-op and rehab.
Two arthroscopies and constant pain for 10 years. Cost me windsurfing. The bike is my last great toy.
Glad to see you got yours back.

I'm candidate for knee replacement but, scared *hitless of the post-op and rehab.
Two arthroscopies and constant pain for 10 years. Cost me windsurfing. The bike is my last great toy.
Everyone is different in the recovery scenario. The best efforts you can manage with the physio and exercise is the quickest way to recover. Had my right knee done (twice cos they cocked up the first op) and it's now better than it has been for years! Fear of the unknown is understandable, but it can only get better. Mike has had one done so far and given a couple more months will benefit greatly. If you need it doing, get it done! I was only 55 when it was done, very young apparently but it has (finally) shown me just how much I was suffering before. As I said, the physio and exercise is what make sit work. You get lazy, you suffer. I've got the other knee to be done later this year!! By the way, I was back out on my bike 2 weeks after the 2nd op.

Failing knees chip away at one's quality of life as you have found. The post op pain is significant but can be mitigated with good pain management. I've learned much about the process and what one can expect. As Grumpy pointed out, good physio and exercise is the key. And BTW, tge physical therapy does not have to hurt. Some are too aggresive and can cause unneeded pain. I had two good ones, both ladies who stressed gradual strengthening and flexibility improvement. You'll know when it's time.

I had both knees replaced over the last few years. Did the therapy with full range of motion and the pain is almost non-existent compared to what it was. Best move I have ever made. But, that being said, I am still struggling holding up the bike most times. Sometimes things are great but other times the legs feel like wet noodles. Starting a round of new exercises to try and strengthen them further. It took me a full 8 months to ride with my first replacement. About the same for the second one too. Yes, it does chip away at the quality of life but it makes things less painful. Good luck with your recovery.

Back