So what is the difference that means it wont fit the Roadster Mitzy ?
Paul let me interject my opinion here. Its not so much as the Roadster got a beefed up shaft. Sure the spline Outs side diameter is larger and has a tooth or two more ( not sure if they are the same modal pitch as I have not measured them. Other then a couple U joints, and worn out splines from lack of lubricating, I am not aware of anyone breaking a drive shaft. I did notice that when the R3T came out it had the larger splined drive shaft. (buy one by mistake and you learn that :) ) I kind of thought it wasn't a bad Idea as it would keep anyone even on the assembly line from mixing up the two differential boxes Since the pitch cone angles are different. Years later I am thinking it was more of a consolidation of parts and the fact that the cost of tooling to make to different yet almost Identical parts would be well not very smart. Remember they are paying more for the tooling and upkeep because they are not making the parts a Italian company is. At any rate I have not measure the outside diameter of the differential spline cup but if it has not changed then what ever strength you think you gained on the splined shaft you just lost on the internal spline cup. I think it was more of a consolidating evolution, more controlled by the manufacture not Triumph. Sure it does lend to someone trying to put a R3T rear on a Roadster which would slow the line down as you either change out right there or put her aside for rework. But at least you would not have to tear the swing frame out to change the wrong shaft (remember the front spline on the shaft and the torsional output spline are the same on all Rockets)

Again this is just a thought :)

Oh and it did not hurt :D

Thanks Scott, good thinking there. (glad it didn't hurt :thumbsup:)
I agree with you re streamlining the cost of production, why make two different, but the same units.
Unless there were failures (not due to lack of maintenance) why make a larger shaft, also as you say unless the cup has a larger O.D. no strength would be gained.
So I guess the answer is that if you are going to fit a Roadster Diff, you should also fit the corresponding shaft.
So all up we have three different combinations of Diff ? Classic, Touring then Roadster, along with two different shafts ?
Yes, I thought I read some where that the Diffs are from an Italian Company. Maybe that was when we were discussing different Diff ratio's.

Thanks Scott, good thinking there. (glad it didn't hurt :thumbsup:)
I agree with you re streamlining the cost of production, why make two different, but the same units.
Unless there were failures (not due to lack of maintenance) why make a larger shaft, also as you say unless the cup has a larger O.D. no strength would be gained.
So I guess the answer is that if you are going to fit a Roadster Diff, you should also fit the corresponding shaft.
So all up we have three different combinations of Diff ? Classic, Touring then Roadster, along with two different shafts ?
Yes, I thought I read some where that the Diffs are from an Italian Company. Maybe that was when we were discussing different Diff ratio's.
Not quite but close. I have not verified it bit I bet that the roadster and the touring now share the same shaft. 2009 and older real rockets have a the older shaft.

Hi 2rockets. I'm genuinely interested. I live on the Gold Coast so no problem to drive up to Brissy to inspect the unit at your convenience. Shoot me a pm with contact details if you would like to go ahead. Cheers mate.
I suppose you have figured out the seller is in the USA not Australia by now.

If you still want a rear diff to suit a 2008 Standard get in touch with @Mittzy a member here in Brisbane, he has one for sale on Gumtree and eBay. Now that I have aroused his attention he may get in touch with you himself.

I suppose you have figured out the seller is in the USA not Australia by now.

If you still want a rear diff to suit a 2008 Standard get in touch with @Mittzy a member here in Brisbane, he has one for sale on Gumtree and eBay. Now that I have aroused his attention he may get in touch with you himself.

Yeah, I jumped in a bit too quick with an 8% cloudy cider fueled thought process that linked the seller to the same side of the planet as Mitzi.....
Doh !! Thx for the heads up.

Back