Hi i have an exhaust manifold rattle only when cold , told the dealer doesnt effect performance everything appears to be tight no gases escaping strange.
when you remove those panels..you will find there are little 'Bridges' the tongues fit under to keep the panel secure. these have rubber grommets fitted...or at least should have...maybe one is missing?...oops!!! just repeating what others have said...sorry.

Last edited:
when you remove those panels..you will find there are little 'Bridges' the tongues fit under to keep the panel secure. these have rubber grommets fitted...or at least should have...maybe one is missing?...oops!!! just repeating what others have said...sorry.
nothing missing but something inside the slip on tail pipe which is secure no movement the movement isnt at the head where manifold meets engine the only movement appears to be just in the manifold where meets tail pipe have told the dealer he said should be ok till first 10k service he's 110 mile away so yeah can wait.

nothing missing but something inside the slip on tail pipe which is secure no movement the movement isnt at the head where manifold meets engine the only movement appears to be just in the manifold where meets tail pipe have told the dealer he said should be ok till first 10k service he's 110 mile away so yeah can wait.
think its not sitting correctly....maybe?.....Ive had my system apart several times and its a bugger of a thing to get right...good luck..

I took the shield off when i first got the bike its definitely the manifold moving where manifold meet exhaust possibly a gasket missing or been pushed in too far ? yeah those rubbers are a pig to line up i've been looking at bug bike for sound and looks here's the link i found .
I think the Sirichai triple exhaust is the best sounding and best looking of all the Rocket exhaust aftermarket.
Wonder the price.??

Can those with the newer r3 verify a slight rattle when you tap the black part of top exhaust, right side? Bottom one quiet. Don't know if it's normal. Wouldn't know how to tighten as no visible bolts. Thanks!
Hi just seen your question my headers have rattled when cold ie when ive cleaned the bike cold they rattle with slight movement in the headers only. once started and the engines idling the metal swells no rattle im sure this isnt right but there are no exhaust gases leaking and no pop dealers say will take a look when in for service in a few months .

Hi just seen your question my headers have rattled when cold ie when ive cleaned the bike cold they rattle with slight movement in the headers only. once started and the engines idling the metal swells no rattle im sure this isnt right but there are no exhaust gases leaking and no pop dealers say will take a look when in for service in a few months .
New bikes had same sound when tapped. Normal.

New bikes had same sound when tapped. Normal.
Try removing the brushed aluminum shield that covers the exhaust to manifold clamps.. If the noise goes away with that small shield off, the fix is to
replace the shield but be careful to insert the tabs one the shield with the black silicone slippers without knocking the slippers out of place when re-installing..
Its not easy to do and virtually every R-3 I have seen the tabs are metal to metal contact with silicone sleeves either missing or out of place.

Try removing the brushed aluminum shield that covers the exhaust to manifold clamps.. If the noise goes away with that small shield off, the fix is to
replace the shield but be careful to insert the tabs one the shield with the black silicone slippers without knocking the slippers out of place when re-installing..
Its not easy to do and virtually every R-3 I have seen the tabs are metal to metal contact with silicone sleeves either missing or out of place.
Sonnie, the only sound of metal was when bike off and one taps the black piece. No sound when bike on or riding. If not broken.....

Back