Will take ex a look for this screw of which you speak shortly. Cannot see screw scv so one must feel it and get a wrench on it I assume.
The noise vibration culprit is the brushed aluminum shield with the screw in the middle of it. The black cover that looks like a shield isnt removable
and is welded to the muffler. It cant vibrate, but the aluminum cover vibrates badly without the tabs in the slots surrounded by the rubber sleeves.
They are very tiny.

The noise vibration culprit is the brushed aluminum shield with the screw in the middle of it. The black cover that looks like a shield isnt removable
and is welded to the muffler. It cant vibrate, but the aluminum cover vibrates badly without the tabs in the slots surrounded by the rubber sleeves.
They are very tiny.
Thanks for clarifying. I was trying to figure how to remove black part that is not removable!
Mine is not rattling though. Only notice metal on metal if you smack black part.

Thanks for clarifying. I was trying to figure how to remove black part that is not removable!
Mine is not rattling though. Only notice metal on metal if you smack black part.
I thought it was the black shield too because when i tapped on it, it rattled, but after seeing how the aluminum shield fit into the slots
and noticed the tabs werent in the rubber slots, i slipped the tabs in correctly and the rattle stopped. I didnt thing the aluminum shield could rattle
because of the screw holding it down, but it did.. Had a vibrating rattle on take off from the front end also, and it turned out to be the front fender
rattling against the brace that holds it up.. Put some rubber O ring spacers between them and that rattle vibration is also gone. Finally a quiet bike.!!
Also noticed when i went to clean the air filter element after 15k miles, the cover didnt have the rubber O ring to seal the cover to the air box.
Triumph sent one to me from the dealer.. He said most of the R3's he worked on didnt have the O ring installed at the factory.
Its a HUGE O ring.

I thought it was the black shield too because when i tapped on it, it rattled, but after seeing how the aluminum shield fit into the slots
and noticed the tabs werent in the rubber slots, i slipped the tabs in correctly and the rattle stopped. I didnt thing the aluminum shield could rattle
because of the screw holding it down, but it did.. Had a vibrating rattle on take off from the front end also, and it turned out to be the front fender
rattling against the brace that holds it up.. Put some rubber O ring spacers between them and that rattle vibration is also gone. Finally a quiet bike.!!
Also noticed when i went to clean the air filter element after 15k miles, the cover didnt have the rubber O ring to seal the cover to the air box.
Triumph sent one to me from the dealer.. He said most of the R3's he worked on didnt have the O ring installed at the factory.
Its a HUGE O ring.
Glad you got it all sorted out. I had dealer change air filter so I assume it has o ring.
As you work on your bikes, and this rattle was a pain for you, I may share the headache with Herman. Could take me all day to get it correct. And then I may break the tabs!

Glad you got it all sorted out. I had dealer change air filter so I assume it has o ring.
As you work on your bikes, and this rattle was a pain for you, I may share the headache with Herman. Could take me all day to get it correct. And then I may break the tabs!
U wont break them.. They are pretty sturdy.. Just keeping the rubber slots in place while sliding the cover in place is a challenge. That vibration was maddening until
i fixed it.. The rattle got worse with how hot it got, so knew it was someplace in the exhaust system. Like u said, tapping on the black portion was key to hearing it and finding
it.

U wont break them.. They are pretty sturdy.. Just keeping the rubber slots in place while sliding the cover in place is a challenge. That vibration was maddening until
i fixed it.. The rattle got worse with how hot it got, so knew it was someplace in the exhaust system. Like u said, tapping on the black portion was key to hearing it and finding
it.
Would wd40 work rather than silicone spray?

Anything slippery will work.. Silicone grease is even better. Just a small amount on each tab so it slides in place without pushing the rubber sleeve out.

I use a shot of wd40
then i put some on the inside of the groumet lol

Anything slippery will work.. Silicone grease is even better. Just a small amount on each tab so it slides in place without pushing the rubber sleeve out.
Just tried. My sound is NOT because of tabs. The aluminum cover had nothing to do with it. When I removed it, I tapped black piece and same sound. That black outer piece is hitting black part of exhaust it is up against. It is screwed in tight. Nothing to change, or tighten that would affect. I am leaving it.
Btw surprised how easy getting tabs correctly positioned. Did it twice to be sure.
Yours was related to tabs not in correctly.
Thanks for the help!

Just tried. My sound is NOT because of tabs. The aluminum cover had nothing to do with it. When I removed it, I tapped black piece and same sound. That black outer piece is hitting black part of exhaust it is up against. It is screwed in tight. Nothing to change, or tighten that would affect. I am leaving it.
Btw surprised how easy getting tabs correctly positioned. Did it twice to be sure.
Yours was related to tabs not in correctly.
Thanks for the help!
Possibly something loose inside the muffler itself..??

Back