Exhaust Popping - running lean?

Hey Bud have you tried any of the custom tunes on Tom's site
http://www.tomhamburg.net/Custom_Tune_list.html

Below is a zip of one I would not be afraid to try. It was Jardine and triples so if yours are more open the TORS you might find it working well. and since the ram air breathes a little more then the triple filters you will need the extra fuel. They have a few for tors and triples also.

If the Jardine one works well I have another one you can also try.

And there is a guy on this site parting out his 05 I think he might like the idea of you giving him 500 bucks for them. Jardines have a special sound of there own its a good rumble.

no matter what you can not beat tuning the bike on a dyno

Wild child is lucky there is a guy who tune rockets in his state he is also versed on tune boy. I am not sure about tune ecu but he has even tuned force air rockets.

@Warp Got to meet and talk to Doug this past Wednesday. Great fella, knows tuning like nobody's business. Knows Tune ECU as well. Pulled 144.8 hp and 159 tq outta my Rocker. To those in MN looking for a great tuner, go to St. Boni's Motorsports. Doug will take care of you.

@Warp Got to meet and talk to Doug this past Wednesday. Great fella, knows tuning like nobody's business. Knows Tune ECU as well. Pulled 144.8 hp and 159 tq outta my Rocker. To those in MN looking for a great tuner, go to St. Boni's Motorsports. Doug will take care of you.
Great to hear I will probably take the Falcon to him.

Here's dyno chart

upload_2015-6-1_4-40-20.jpeg

At RAAX, I accidentally dislodged the Carpenter Brute and it didn't get seated back well. Afterwards it was decel popping profusely (even though I could not hear any exhaust leaks). The next day, I hit the throttle hard and blew the header completely off necessitating me to pull over and reconnect it to the motor. Voila! Instantly no more decel popping. In addition to lean AF ratio, I know now for sure
cold air leaks in the exhaust also causes decel pop.

IOW Looks like you fixed it. Good on ya.

Just sorted out some similar issues. Check the fragile hex head screws holding the heat shields to the manifold, the manifold can crack and let air in (I had to have mine welded). Also, when changing exhaust ensure the gaskets are spot on and not leaking (I changed all mine). Air entering the exhaust especially nearby the O2 sensor will cause havoc.

After a bit of a caning, instead if a long decel, I pull the clutch momentarily and let it idle for a few seconds to let it settle into the idle section of the map and It seems to settle the pops down. Backfiring (through the throttle bodies) is bad and indicates a different problem.

I am not an expert tuner, I am just trying to express my thoughts based on recent experience and I welcome any ideas from someone who knows if any of this makes sense.

I had the same problem , I installed a Dobeck TFI module , you can get specs from www.dobeckperformance.com . It took about 100 miles for computer to sync with unit , but afterward you can tune mixture and 3 other parameters with pots in unit . this gives you analog carb like controll over your mixture and will greatly reduce popping and increase performance . Cost $ 245 .00 u.s. and an hour of plug and play installation I have 2007 r3 with cat removed and tors pipes

"Secondary air injection eliminator?" My my, the stuff these supposedly knowledgeable factory reps dream up to cover their total absence of facts. Bullsh..t...... Why can't they just admit they don't have a clue?

Since someone has fiddled around with the exhaust at some stage, I reckon the first move would be to find and fix air leaks into the exhaust?

It was suggested by a very wise man I rectify the leak in my exhaust and the crackle and pop would disappear and it did!

Back