Exhaust Popping - running lean?

EmuOz

.020 Over
I purchased a 2006 Rocket 3 a few days ago and rode it home from Brisbane to Mackay. The bike appears to have the aftermarket pipes and the catalytic converter has been replaced with the (I think Triumph cross-over pipe?). The issue that I have noticed is that at deceleration and driving slowly around town I'm getting a lot of exhaust popping with engine running rough down low - I'm told this is the engine running lean and may be due to secondary air injection??. I'm sure these issues have been raised a thousand times on this forum but would appreciate any suggestions on what course of action I should follow to at least reduce the popping and get the engine running a bit better. The bike does not seem to have any issues at highway speed.

do you know what brand of aftermarket pipes they are? If not a picture is worth a thousand words. It could be you just need to load another map into the ecu to resolve the problem. Although getting the bike tuned on a dyno is better but it does not mean there is not a better one out there.

There could be looses connections on the pipes, but these should be easy to find and tighten or otherwise fix. Make sure that you have the correct tune in the bike. This can easily be done with TuneECU. Without knowing which pipes and which air filters you have we cannot tell which tune you should have. As warp said, pictures help.

It's because it's lean at closed throttle and high load. The closed loop O2 sensor does this. All R3s with aftermarket exhaust do it. If you want to get into TuneEcu, there are tunes you can load to reduce this.

Thanks you all for your comments. I will post some photos of the exhaust and will check what air filter is installed also. Will need to go over the exhaust to check for leaks and will check who might be able to run TuneECU. I was told yesterday by Triumph Aust Rep that I should be able to locate a 'Secondary air injection eliminator' for the bike - any clues on where I might be able to locate this???

"Secondary air injection eliminator?" My my, the stuff these supposedly knowledgeable factory reps dream up to cover their total absence of facts. Bullsh..t...... Why can't they just admit they don't have a clue?

Since someone has fiddled around with the exhaust at some stage, I reckon the first move would be to find and fix air leaks into the exhaust?

I purchased a 2006 Rocket 3 a few days ago and rode it home from Brisbane to Mackay. The bike appears to have the aftermarket pipes and the catalytic converter has been replaced with the (I think Triumph cross-over pipe?). The issue that I have noticed is that at deceleration and driving slowly around town I'm getting a lot of exhaust popping with engine running rough down low - I'm told this is the engine running lean and may be due to secondary air injection??. I'm sure these issues have been raised a thousand times on this forum but would appreciate any suggestions on what course of action I should follow to at least reduce the popping and get the engine running a bit better. The bike does not seem to have any issues at highway speed.
I'd say get a dyno tune done if you can afford it, saves the guess work. I'll be getting mine dyno tuned in the near future , had ramair fitted for awhile now and fingers crossed will have Tors fitted in the next week or so, so a Dyno tune will be a must.

I could be wrong, but there is no secondary air injection on the Rocket.

Back