Navigator

Living Legend
Ride
2009 Rocket Touring
I probably shouldn't have started a new thread but I just received my Paul Bryant crossover exhaust piece for my 09 Touring and failed to order a new set of exhaust gaskets. I installed TORs about 500 miles ago and they came with new gaskets.

I know I should install a new header gasket but, darn, I want to install the crossover piece tomorrow and ride to Idaho on Wednesday. If I have to get a new one I probably won't get it for about a week or so.

Has anyone installed Paul's crossover pipe and used the same gasket? I'm assuming the old one will stick to the header pipe. If it doesn't the point is moot.

Always replace crush gaskets...

Do it old school, just anneal them, did mine on my plumbing torch with a bottle of Mapp gas, did the job just fine. Most guys seem to run a little RTV silicone around the gaskets to guarantee a good seal,the gaskets seem a little thin for some aftermarket exhaust systems.

Why do you need to install new header gaskets when you're just installing the cross over?

Another words you don't have to remove the header to install the crossover. I have a Roadster instead of Touring... you're bike might be different but I didn't have to remove the header for the cross over installation.

Now on the header to TORS connection..... the crossover should mate up with TORS without having to replace the gaskets. I think you're talking about the round bushing type gaskets correct? If so you should be able to reuse them if you wish.

Why do you need to install new header gaskets when you're just installing the cross over?

Another words you don't have to remove the header to install the crossover. I have a Roadster instead of Touring... you're bike might be different but I didn't have to remove the header for the cross over installation.

Now on the header to TORS connection..... the crossover should mate up with TORS without having to replace the gaskets. I think you're talking about the round bushing type gaskets correct? If so you should be able to reuse them if you wish.
Good point...if you’re changing the crossover the headers stay put!

I probably shouldn't have started a new thread but I just received my Paul Bryant crossover exhaust piece for my 09 Touring and failed to order a new set of exhaust gaskets. I installed TORs about 500 miles ago and they came with new gaskets.

I know I should install a new header gasket but, darn, I want to install the crossover piece tomorrow and ride to Idaho on Wednesday. If I have to get a new one I probably won't get it for about a week or so.

Has anyone installed Paul's crossover pipe and used the same gasket? I'm assuming the old one will stick to the header pipe. If it doesn't the point is moot.

Yes, I used the old gasket. I ran into the same situation. I had order gaskets for the TORs because I didn't realise new gaskets came with them. I missed realizing I needed a gasket for the header pipe. I used a small thin flat screwdriver that I ground wafer thin to separate the edge of the gasket from the shell of old pipe. I gradually did this a little at a time as I worked my way around the circumference of the pipe and gasket. I also saturated the separating area with penetrating oil as I did this. Using the screwdriver and oil allowed me to separate it from where it was sticking to the interior surface of the pipe.

Take your time and go slow. Anyway, it finally came out with very little damage and was completely intact. Had I notice the gasket on Hermy's website as I looked at the diagram, I would have ordered one. I will order a new one for use in the future, but the old one seems to work just fine. Except for the smell of the penetrating oil burning off after startup, all was good.

Yes, I used the old gasket. I ran into the same situation. I had order gaskets for the TORs because I didn't realise new gaskets came with them. I missed realizing I needed a gasket for the header pipe. I used a small thin flat screwdriver that I ground wafer thin to separate the edge of the gasket from the shell of old pipe. I gradually did this a little at a time as I worked my way around the circumference of the pipe and gasket. I also saturated the separating area with penetrating oil as I did this. Using the screwdriver and oil allowed me to separate it from where it was sticking to the interior surface of the pipe.

Take your time and go slow. Anyway, it finally came out with very little damage and was completely intact. Had I notice the gasket on Hermy's website as I looked at the diagram, I would have ordered one. I will order a new one for use in the future, but the old one seems to work just fine. Except for the smell of the penetrating oil burning off after startup, all was good.

Thank you sir. I figured it could probably be done. Will do the installation today.

RocketmanBristol, I used to anneal copper head gaskets on my old 650 Triumphs as well as the sump drain plug washer. I believe I have some high temp exhaust goopage in the shop that I can apply around the edge.

Back