Cav Man

.060 Over
Ride
2017 Triumph Rocket III Roadster
This is a repost of an issue that I had inaccurately described and with more information.
  • Was riding Sunday and bike was performing flawlessly.
  • Came out of a stop after lunch and after 10 or 15 miles, could tell the engine was running rough- it was like someone threw a switch.
  • No engine or other warning lights.
  • Checked the PCV and it seems to be operating and has the correct tune.
  • Checked fuses and they are all good although they do not match the values in the cover (see image). Not sure if I should replace them with the values shown in the cover or if the fuse spec changed and they just didn't bother to update.
  • Attaching file with engine sound and view of RPM. Even just sitting in the garage, you can hear and see it idling poorly.
So it seems really strange that, while on the move and functioning normally, I effectively lost my engine synchronization/tune from one moment to the next with no warning and no indications on the gauges of any difficulties.

Appreciate any and all thoughts or suggestions.

Attachments

• 20200616_103522.jpg
    20200616_103522.jpg
    337.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 20200615_104300.jpg
    20200615_104300.jpg
    333.3 KB · Views: 31
Fuses are correct, you have two spare fuses in there that are throwing you off. I did not hear any sound file just a photo of bike. Have you tried disconnecting PCV and seeing how it starts / runs to eliminate that as a possible issue

Fuses are correct, you have two spare fuses in there that are throwing you off. I did not hear any sound file just a photo of bike. Have you tried disconnecting PCV and seeing how it starts / runs to eliminate that as a possible issue

Sorry, my bad, attached the wrong file, server won't let me attach the other even though it was only about five seconds, I will try to make it even shorter.

I will try to disconnect the PCV, Scot in Exile had a similar suggestion. Just haven't had the time to review the installation procedure and then reverse it.

This one time, at band camp, my bike started running real lean all of a sudden, and a firmware update to the PCV fixed it.
This was back in 2012. Just wondering if your PCV happens to be a used one from a few years ago and needs a firmware update?

Once the PCV is ruled out we can go from there.

This one time, at band camp, my bike started running real lean all of a sudden, and a firmware update to the PCV fixed it.
This was back in 2012. Just wondering if your PCV happens to be a used one from a few years ago and needs a firmware update?

Once the PCV is ruled out we can go from there.
I think I updated the firmware last year (2019) before installing it. Will have to remove it from the system entirely to rule the thing out entirely. My observation in my case would be that it seemed to be consuming a lot more fuel than normal for that last leg of the trip but that could just be perception.

same fuel as usual? Had you just filled the tank at the lunch stop? My Indian threw a hissy when I put lower octane in it than recommended. Just something else easy to eliminate.

Back