Oider motors and automatic transmissions usually have a cold mark that u try to bring the oil/atf to that level (room temp and below) then as the motor/trans heats up the oil/atf it expands and rises on the stick depending on temp and the amount of quarts sometimes over the hot range.

Informa5ion on some of the newer
Automatic transmissions.
They claim that u have to have a tool
(A very long stick and the end of the stick starts at 0mm and goes to
100 mm) so u can measurer the atf
Now they tell u that you must have a scanner to check the fluid.however what they do not tell u is the scanner
is reading tempature of the trans.
So to get around this we use a thermal gun to see the temp of the trans(of coarse we could use a scanner) sumed up cold 20 to 30 mm
cold and 40 mm to 60mm hot. (average trans)
Just my opinion
I think that triumph is trying to tell u to run a certain amount of time to reach a certain temp and tell u to check the oil then at that temp and should be at the marks on the stick.
Some one with a thermal gun can find out what that temp is then just start and let it run till it gets to that temp then correct the level and then u could check it running on stand.
I know there will be a few that dont believe me but if i am wrong please explain why so i can (if nessary) change my thinking.

On automatic transmission the old wifes tale was that it would ruin the front seal u dont hear that much any more.
Gm decided to put a small went tube in their trans so what happen is when over filled the fluid get into the turning parts gets airated and the tube aimed at the catalitic convertor with atf fine spray would burst into flames. Gm cured the problem they did not have by putting a hose on the vent and running it to the other side
Over filling the motorcycles the problem that there would be is it is going to come out of that oil tank
On the 2020 i asume it will go into a place that stores it till it is urned it the motor. On the early models i am guessing that it might come out and get on to the rear tire/rear brakes.
Any way on mine i make sure it is never over about 3/8 inches above the full mark. If it is u can drain a little or use a clear hose to syphone lol.
If someone would volenteir to overfill thier early rocket we could find out lol

Overfilling blows the filler cap off the tank....twice...

In any case that could be useful:
  • Dealer's told me for an engine this big, he would wait more than 3min after the 60 to 90s idle run, to get sure oil had time to run down.
  • I remember I checked something like 200km after the post run-in service (1000km in Europe), as said in manual, twice. The level was at the lowest (like, very exactly at lowest level mark). I had to add a bit more than 500mL so that the oil level would be at the highest level.
  • You have to add oil little by little (like, 125mL top), then wait 5-10min, and check again as told in manual - to get sure your engine is cold again when you check, and that the oil you added ran down.

To be honest, with the older engines, I simply check to see if the oil is between the fill and full marks then go. I will start the bike up first and run it for a few seconds then check. If the oil level is within that range, don't sweat it. Ride.

Frankly, this level (r3 2020) is very random.
Even if I do exactly as indicated in the manual, before this check I always look at the level without starting the motorcycle. So, engine cold for one night, on a stand, I never observed the same reading ... 🥸

One morning it will be at the minimum of the gauge, the next day I can find 1.5748 "(5 cm) above the maximum!
What to understand ???

So some days it leaks down and other days it doesn't. Probably dependent on outside temps as to the amount it leaks down. If you are 5 cm above the max at times before you start the bike, that usually means you are overfilled. Oil can't drain from the sump into the oil tank. When you do get 5 cm showing over max before you start, where does it end up after you start?

Back