Engine/Clutch severe vibration at WOT - NOT

John Miller

Supercharged
Ride
2011 Rocket 3 roadster
I have had this issue for several months, thinking that it was clutch basket bearings or wear that was causing a severe vibration (like out of balance or run out) but only when under severe load like WOT from 3,000 RPM upwards.

I have been really concerned thinking I was going to start pulling her down starting with the clutch.

Whilst I bought the bike from an aircraft mechanic who had fitted the crash bars all seemed to be professionally done with appropriate hardware and self locking nuts I never thought I needed to double check bolt torque etc.

Was surprised to find the front engine mounting bolt was at least 11/2 turns from tight.

Now I believe I have found the issue - nothing at all to do with the engine vibration or clutch basket wear - just a loose front engine mount bolt causing the severe vibration under heavy load.

I will source a new bolt to replace the original - assume it will be over stressed after the hammering it's been getting.

Moral of the story is take noting for granted, check all the obvious things first.

Tighten it up and you should be okay.

However, if you do want to replace it, use a jack to take the weight of the engine and the old bolt will easily slide out and the new one will easily slide in.

Yes take nothing for granted especially at like you say under severe load at WOT (me like hehe)

914363B9-A16E-464E-8B85-11585A3C2509.jpeg
7980A2B8-2EDB-4C0B-B262-56C90FFAD576.jpeg
D4D27F54-F0DB-4701-AA76-F8136E1C3E80.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back