Engine breather tube?

Pablo,
Thanks for the comparison photos.
Twas the angle of the photo that faked me out.
Now I reckon to feel a tad less old and drongo!

Today's lesson in vernacular Aussie slang - you can't 'be drongo', only 'a drongo', as it is a noun only now, after a pronoun for a horse named Drongo after the bird.

Australian Slang. 1. a stupid or slow-witted person; simpleton. Origin. 1920-25; probably to be identified with Spangled Drongo, as a name for the Australian bird Dicrurus bracteata; though often popularly alleged to have originated from the name of an unsuccessful racehorse of the 1920s.

No Cookies | Daily Telegraph
How a luckless Melbourne Cup racehorse called Drongo became part of Australia's larrikin fabric
Annette Sharp, DailyTelegraph
November 4, 2013 12:05pm

HE HAD pedigree, style and one of the best Australian jockeys of the era on his back, but one thing the gutsy big bay colt Drongo never possessed was an ounce of good luck.
The story of Drongo is one that every folktale-loving Australian should know by heart for it's a story that is bound with the nation's founding convict character. It is the story of a loser with heart and talent and a tonne of determination.

While we rarely hear some described as a "drongo" today, a couple of generations ago the term was common in our vernacular. It was an essential part of speaking 'Strine or 'Straylyun.

It is a word that is now referenced in dictionaries. It means loser, no-hoper.
a8559f40620f6912535e4c860157176e

Drongo races about midfield in the 1923 Victoria Derby (its modern equivalent run on Saturday and won by Polanski). The poor fella couldn't muster a win that would have changed the course of our spoken history

But in the 1920s, Drongo was in the racebooks of Australia's premier turf clubs as a much-liked racehorse who, 90 years ago this week, ran second in the Victoria Derby before, three days later, having a start in the prestigious Melbourne Cup, where he finished in the middle of 26 starters and well back from winner and favourite Bitalli.
In a race career spanning two-and-a-half years, Drongo never won a race from 37 starts - all at metropolitan track meetings and mostly stakes races.
  • The poor fella never got a shot at country meet where he might have honed his big race finish and was tested out of the shadows of champions.

Hence an expression was born some years later, that one might be "a bit of a Drongo" - meaning a try-hard, an also-ran, a champion that never was.

9a63a27ab795fe53a3ea4b8c79f08b8b

Drongo, listed in the Victoria Derby acceptances as wearing black with a blue sash
    Despite his losing streak, his owner, Dorothy Wood, the daughter of a prominent racehorse owner, couldn't quite give up on him, and neither could punters, the press and the great jockey Bobby Lewis who rode in 33 Melbourne Cups, won four, and rode Drongo on many occasions.

Drongo, named for a bird, the Drongo Strike, was sired by 1917 Melbourne Cup runner Lanius, out of Lys d'Or, who had the blood of Carbine's sire in her sire's bloodline.

Foaled in 1920, he raced from February 1923 until 1925 taking £2,200 for his owner and more than paying his way in uncertain economic times with five seconds placings and seven thirds.
    The term drongo was heavily referenced throughout the 1940 and on.

It also found usage in this 1950s joke: One mornin' the boss asks the drongo to hang a new gate off the barn. Off goes the drongo with 'is tools and the gate. Come lunchtime he hasn't been sighted, so we went out to look for 'im. We found 'im standin' by the dam. The boss was hoppin mad. "What do you think you're doin'? I told you to hang that gate!" "Sorry boss,"says the drongo. I couldn't find no tree ter' hang it on, so I drowned the bastard."
v2

Drongo_Spangled_Tom%20Oliver.jpg

Last edited:
Gratitude, ISH!
Can you suggest a better, more current?
Alfa? Boofhead? Bevan? Grommet? Nong?
BTW - I just learned I be a SEPPO! :roll: :roll: :roll:

Back