Electrical Question

Namaste

.020 Over
How much accessory lighting, heated clothing, etc. can safely be added to a bone stock 2007 Classic Tourer?

I am an electrical dufous and would appreciate what ver help people can offer.

Thanks

Last edited:
I wanted to see an answer also, I have never seen what the alternator puts out, I would guess not a lot, but I havn't run across it in the manual either, Don't give up yet Namaste. Someone will come up with a number.

Be Patient

I don't think its a dumb question at all. I just don't recall it ever coming up before.

I can tell you that a Honda Valkyrie or Goldwing put out 15-20 Amps which with additional lighting and assorted heated riding gear is not enough so an update to Compu-fire is necessary. ( I just did this with my wife's trike.)

I would suspect, but can't state for a fact, the R3 alternator puts out about the same. I would bet the amperage is comparable to the Honda's or most cruisers on the market of this class....SB...

OK, never mind. Too dumb of a question, I guess.

Ok, don't get your panties in a wad.

The alternator is rated at 37 amps/min at 2,000 RPMs and 41 amp/min at 6,000 RPM.

37 amps x 12 volts = 444 watts or 41 amps x 12 volts = 492 watts

A common operating load for a standard fuel injected bike is about 285 watts.

This reference should help you as long as you know how many watts your gear and lights draw.

http://www.powerletproducts.com/documentation/excesscapacity.html

I would think you should have no problems with fog lights and heated gloves and vest. If you plan on loading up on GPS, intercom, MP3 player etc, you might want to consider adding an aux fuse box.

Last edited:
That helps a lot - thanks!

Didn't mean to sound impatient, just embarrased to ask for help - doesn't come easy.

Seriously, thank you for the help.

Back