I would say it's the large one coming from the ECU. It possibly could relate to those faults as well. Usually these weird problems are caused by a bad earth, if you used connectors that puncture the wire to make contact it can sometimes cut the wire internally.

well it' all sorted now. Turns out to have been a corroded pin on one of the line connectors under the tank. Dealer has now had them all out & done them with ACF50. Just caught it while fitting the harness enough to dislodge that bad pin & there we go the whole speedo not working. On way home with now mended Rocket only 2 miles along the road & the engine warning light comes on again & the bike is running like a bag of spanners, I'm on a motorway now so limp home at 50mph put it on Tune ECU & it turns out to be 2nd coil failure. Had a look & found the low tension lead had come off, right alongside the frame cover it's easily disturbed when fitting the cover back. Connected up but light still on, back to dealers today and bike running well but warning light still on, 4 miles along the road light goes out & leaves me on way to dealers with a fault that no longer exists. It seems that when a fault occurs & is then rectified it takes a number of ignition starts before the warning light goes off, I didn't know this, did you guys out there? & for those who didn't then you do now. So I'm a very happy captain again, (wife is very grateful):D

Yes it pays to open every connector and apply electrical grease .As it will prevent this from happening again, I have it on ever point i can find.
Glad you are up and running once more,:)

Yes it pays to open every connector and apply electrical grease .As it will prevent this from happening again, I have it on ever point i can find.
Glad you are up and running once more,:)

Thanks Pedro, It really grieves me when I have a fault on my bikes.At least now I shouldn't get a similar problem. But the more that goes wrong the more I learn about this Megathon of a motorcycle

Good info.

What was the cost to you? Was it a common fault and was it a warranty fix?

Seems to me that this was a manufacturer's defect, but hey, who knows...

well it' all sorted now. Turns out to have been a corroded pin on one of the line connectors under the tank. Dealer has now had them all out & done them with ACF50. Just caught it while fitting the harness enough to dislodge that bad pin & there we go the whole speedo not working. On way home with now mended Rocket only 2 miles along the road & the engine warning light comes on again & the bike is running like a bag of spanners, I'm on a motorway now so limp home at 50mph put it on Tune ECU & it turns out to be 2nd coil failure. Had a look & found the low tension lead had come off, right alongside the frame cover it's easily disturbed when fitting the cover back. Connected up but light still on, back to dealers today and bike running well but warning light still on, 4 miles along the road light goes out & leaves me on way to dealers with a fault that no longer exists. It seems that when a fault occurs & is then rectified it takes a number of ignition starts before the warning light goes off, I didn't know this, did you guys out there? & for those who didn't then you do now. So I'm a very happy captain again, (wife is very grateful):D

Good info.

What was the cost to you? Was it a common fault and was it a warranty fix?

Seems to me that this was a manufacturer's defect, but hey, who knows...

Sadly, TRIUMPH does not admit to warranty repairs very often. They fear the cost rather than the ire of owners. This is going to fall under "You bought it, You fix it". You get a better warranty and customer care from Wal-Mart when you buy a can of bad Vienna sausage :mad:, at least they will replace it.

I am now waiting for the fourth week for the third radiator hose on my 06. Just changing because I would rather ride than walk. No such animal in the USA, it shipped from the UK on the 13th. Detent springs breaking and none in the USA apparently :( One would think that somewhere in Georgia there should be a department with every conceivable part on a Rocket times two sitting on a shelf so an owner would not have to wait, and when you ship it out, get another for Triumph's stock. Piss poor flow TRIUMPH :( Perhaps an RAA to Triumph's front door in Georgia :)

Back