RhinoOK

Rocket 3R in my garge
Ride
2020 Triumph Rocket 3R
Hello everyone. I currently ride a 2015 Ducati Multistrada 1200S. A lovely bike to be sure but it is tall, top heavy and maintenance intense. While the Duc is in the shop for intermittent electrical problem, I notice 2 brand new 2020 Rocket 3 R's for $18,499. So I throw a leg over the 30 inch seat and pull it off the side stand. I couldn't believe how much easier it was than my 500 lbs Multistrada to pull off the stand. A salesman gives me the fob and has me take a ride. The massive torque and power was expected and the bike delivered. But what wasn't expected is how nice it handled. At low speed, around town and in a parking lot it handled better than my Ducati even though it is about 170 lbs heavier. This massive bike carries its weight low. I'm thinking of making the switch. The price is quite good and they offered me a reasonable trade in on my Duc. Most of my riding is long trips. I use my Duc for touring and would use the R3 for touring as well. I know a GT would be a better fit but at $6,000 difference with a 2021 GT, I can set the R up the way I want and prefer the mid controls anyway. How reliable is this bike? I do a lot of basic maintenance myself and like the fact I can read error codes and reset maintenance reminders myself using TuneECU and a bluetooth OBDII. This is impossible on a Ducati with the Bosch ECU.

Possibly in the not too distant future I will be an R3 owner as well. Thanks for reading the long post.

These bikes are fairly bullet proof, routine maintenance, add gas and go. The newer iterations are lighter and more nimble than the older versions (pre- 2018). Shaft drive = no chain maintenance. I completed an Iron Butt Qualifier on my 05 so it's all-day (and all-night) comfortable with the right setup.

Get the Triumph! With what you'll save over a new 2022 model, you can set it up the way you want. Being familiar with tune ECU, you can download the Penner or DNK tune and transform the bike into a scary powerful/quick bike. About the only two issues that come up is a rear brake loosing pressure and some have had issues with the FOB connecting to the bike. My 2020 had both issues, but dealer fixed them under warranty (bled brakes and put upgraded tune in the wireless ECM). That was 2k miles ago and have no problems since. If you are shy to talk to people, don't get the Triumph as it's unique style gathers the curious and you'll have to explain everything about the bike to them.

Thanks everybody for the feedback. Having an active forum such as this is a big help to owners IMO. The dealer is closed Sunday and Monday so Tuesday just might be the day.

Very enjoyable and reliable motorcycle this rocket. You can change whatever you want from the R to make it as GT as you want for way less than the difference. I can totally understand the difference in position to ride and a position like the multistrada it's better suit for off roading and you standing up... and way less bags. Touring and bags there are better options. The rocket its just plain fun

Very enjoyable and reliable motorcycle this rocket. You can change whatever you want from the R to make it as GT as you want for way less than the difference. I can totally understand the difference in position to ride and a position like the multistrada it's better suit for off roading and you standing up... and way less bags. Touring and bags there are better options. The rocket its just plain fun
Yeah when I bought the Multi I was hoping to do some mild adventure riding but soon discovered it was way to heavy and tall for my feeble off road skills. I've since stopped all off road riding after crashing my Suzuki DR650 and breaking some ribs. The low seat and center of gravity is the key for me on the R3. The power and torque is the icing on the cake.

WELCOME! to our R3 Family Forum from Tucson... and keep us posted :thumbsup: You do want that new Perma-Grin :p :cool:
-MIG

Back