Draining old fuel from injector rail?

JackMcCornack

.020 Over
Ride
2004 Triumph Rocket III
I got a new fuel pump, pumped the stale gas out of the fuel filter, and all is well except my Rocket won't start (2005 sitting fifteen years). I'm still hoping it isn't clogged injectors, and wondering if there's a way to bleed the crappy gas downstream of the gas tank without pulling the throttle bodies off the bike. A squirt of ether lights it off quite nicely, but there's no life after the initial vrrrooOOOOooomm.

My high hopes that it's not clogged injectors comes from...well, wishful thinking for one thing, but it also sends little puffs of vapor out the exhaust as it cranks, so that's a good sign, right? Clearly, I'm in need of advice from more experienced Rocketeers.

You can pull the line and injector rail with the injectors easily if you have the modified filter systems like triple filters or the ram air kit. Especially easier with the fuel tank off and leaning against the wall where it won't get any cosmetic damage.

Sorry, I should have mentioned it's a stock 2005 Rocket III with stock intake. I like the triple filters concept, and will probably do it if I get this engine in a car, but I'd like to get it running in stock form first. I'm gathering I can't pull the injector rail and injectors easily if I DON'T have triple filters or the ram air kit.

And in further sad news, the puffs of vapor were leftover ether. It looks like a trip to the injector cleaners is in order, 'cause there's nothing coming out of the exhaust that I can see (or smell).

Sorry, I should have mentioned it's a stock 2005 Rocket III with stock intake. I like the triple filters concept, and will probably do it if I get this engine in a car, but I'd like to get it running in stock form first. I'm gathering I can't pull the injector rail and injectors easily if I DON'T have triple filters or the ram air kit.

And in further sad news, the puffs of vapor were leftover ether. It looks like a trip to the injector cleaners is in order, 'cause there's nothing coming out of the exhaust that I can see (or smell).
Well you can still pull the fuel rail and injectors. tank off and you just have a couple pieces of air duct to pull. Engine will run without the air ducts you just have to be carefull not to mash the bulb on the AIT sensor in the plenum. Pertect that with a filter and you'll be able to run her without the ducting. Your just testing not runing down the road in the dirt.

Why did it set for 15 years ?????
A longish story, cootertwo, but I bought this bike because I had the hots for the engine. I want(ed?) to put it in a stand-off-and-squint replica of a Lola Mk 1 sports racer (seems web site kineticvehiclesDOTcom). I have one now with a three cylinder Kubota tractor engine in it that gets 100 mpg if I loaf down the freeway, but at 32 horsepower it's no rocket, and I'd love to have its R3-powered Evil Twin in the stable. But as my dad used to say, You can do anything you want, you just can't do everything you want, and I haven't done it yet so I'm considering getting real and putting the bike back on the road.

Good on you. I bought a 2015 wreck awhile back, thinking it would fit nice in a golf cart, or side by side, but am now transplanting it into my 05, that had the stupid little bolt come out of the shifter shaft. I also have another 05, in a raked out hardtail frame, that is pretty neat. It's sitting now, with a bad ignition switch, and a flat rear car tire. Not even 4000 miles on the engine. And my trusty 2013 is ride ready, along with the 2 Sportsters and the Kaw ZRX1200r. Too many toys to keep up with.;)

Back