Dang Broken Throttle Cable

tdragger

Living Legend
Turned the corner about 1/4 mile from work this morning and POP! The throttle grip went into near freeplay and the revs went to idle. Being that I was almost to work I just let the ol' torque monster chug its way to the parking lot.

Disassembly of the throttle housing revealed that the throttle cable broke just above the grip as shown below. I suspect that water had seeped in from above and weakened the cable and she finally let go this morning.

Questions to fellow captains:

when replacing the throttle cable is it also a good idea to go ahead and replace the return cable?

Should I be looking after-market?

I would use OEM and I would replace the return cable while you're at it. Both cables have been subjected to the same use/environment. Would be silly to not replace the return cable at this time; as well...

I have used other aftermarket cables in the past on my VTX (MotionPro) and they cost more than the originals, but did the same thing; only looking different in aesthetics (silverish). But they yellowed on me.

yes it would be adviable to to replace both cables and to put some graphite on them

That return (lower) cable doesn't look too hot, either, shouldn't have that slack in it..........almost looks kinked.....

When replacing mine I noticed that they can be fitted with a kink and twisted. This would make a stress point at that location and cause metal fatigue, make sure the cables lay flat in the groove with direct pull to the lug.

That return (lower) cable doesn't look too hot, either, shouldn't have that slack in it..........almost looks kinked.....

The throttle grip is almost in freeplay so it is twisted back a bit introducing slack into the return cable. In the normal position there is no slack.

several folks have mentioned putting graphite on the cables. What about white lithium grease? I've used it before on car door hinges and it seems to work well. Is it appropriate for this use?

Back