Cross platform alternative to 'Tyre' to travel app

wordwarrior

.060 Over
Ride
Triumph rocket 3 roadster 2011
I've already posted this to tomcc.org but thought the wider public would like to share in this.

If you already knew about MotoGoLoco | The Home of Biker Friendly then I apologise, nothing to see here for you lucky people.

If like me, you've torn your hair out (as if I've got enough to tear out) trying to get the Tyre to travel app to work on an Apple Mac using the 'Wine' windows emulator I have good news, an alternative!

Having recently bought the new TomTom Rider 400 I was pleased to find free full Tyre membership. This was short lived as Tyre is windows only and no sign of a Mac version any time soon.

Here's the good news, there's an online browser based system that uses Google maps to create your rides Motorcycle Route Planner | MotoGoLoco Maps. It basically is an interface for what Google maps already does, saves your route (editable after saving) and then allows you to export it to many formats including Garmin and Tom Tom. You can even post it as a link on say, the ride out page on the tomcc website.

There's one or two kinks that got me flummoxed at first where it kept losing the start/finish points when trying to save. Sorted quite quickly when I realised you need to hit enter after typing in the info rather than 'tab' to jump to the next box. After that it's plain sailing.

One other thing, if you're using apple Mac you will need to use Android file transfer to move your downloaded .itn file to the TomTom (Just drag from the downloads folder to AFT and Bobs your auntie). I presume the same applies to Garmin and others. I have no idea what you need to do in a Windows environment.

Hope that's been of some use to you.

Enjoy your rides.

Enjoy guys!

Interesting site, but not so USA friendly regarding acomodations.

Back