Confessions of a bad R3 owner.

Ugarte

Turbocharged
Ride
2005 Rocket III
My Rocket has nearly 93000 miles and still runs like new. I have had almost no significant problems with it. But I certainly don’t deserve to have such a reliable problem free bike the way I treat it. Yes, I change the oils on schedule and clean the air filter, but that is about it.

In theory my Rocket is a time bomb just waiting to blow up for one reason or another. Lets start with the valves. They were checked by the dealer at 10k and were in spec, but they have not been checked since. Those who do check their valves on a regular basis have reported that the valves tend to tighten rather than loosen. So, in theory, the beast could suck a valve at any moment.

Then there is the cam chain. The beast has had the paint can rattle off and on since about 10k. Since it was still under warranty my idea was to just ride the hell out it anyway and if it blew up then take it to the dealer under warranty. I put nearly 50000 miles on the bike in the first two years in part to try and force the bugs out while it was still under warranty. But it didn’t blow up, it just kept happily rattling on. Still I suppose it could blow up at any time.

Although I have greased the bevel box splines at every rear tire change, I have never removed the bevel box and greased the shaft drive splines. From what I have read several Rockets have blown out those splines for lack of lubrication. Why mine have not blown out yet I have no idea. I will check and grease the shaft drive splines on the next rear tire change which will be at about 100k miles. But they may blow up before I get there. We will see.

The output shaft bearing should have blown by now too I guess, or maybe I got one of the Rockets that was actually built properly.

The tranny has been perfect, not once has it ever popped out of gear.

Last summer I started having high idle problems. I thought I would have to get a new primary TPS but cleaning the crank angle sensor, and lubricating the throttle linkage reduced the high idle to a rarity. And now the cooler weather seems to have stopped it completely. So I still have the original primary TPS.

I also have the original fuel filter…..LOL!

The bike is rapidly becoming a jalopy. A fitting on the overflow bottle broke but I never got it fixed. I just disconnected the overflow system. The ignition switch blew out about 30k miles ago and I never got that fixed either, just wired up a toggle switch and it has worked just fine. The hi-lo beam switch failed and since I didn’t want to pay for a new switch box I just opened it up and wired the high beams on permanently. I don’t ride at night anymore so I don’t really even need low beams. The battery is over six years old and cannot keep a charge more than a day, but as long as I keep it on the Tender it works just fine, and I ride with portable jump battery in a saddle bag just in case.

So there you have it. Father forgive me for I have sinned, and grant me absolution. Amen.

you are absolved .... go in peace and put some grease in the spline . next sinner please

A man after my own heart. I ride my Rocket in the winter, I get scolded all the time, a lot of the chrome is already rusting, but I bought it to ride it. My other bikes sit in the barn and stay pretty in inclement weather, but the Rocket rides 12 months a year.

Would appear that 'neglect' is the secret component here .. perhaps a lesson to all of the more fastidious Owners in there somewhere. Pleased to hear that your Rocket has served you so well mate.

You may be absolved of your sins, just watch you don't get caught plagerizing.....:D

Ugarte's trestamony is similar to my own.
Although I have had the TPS replaced and the output shaft bearing,
also greased my splines a couple of times over the years, but that's it.
Tripps,
I absoutley loved your line,
"I bought it to ride", same here.
If I wanted another bike to sit around and polish,
I'd still have a harley.
i do try to wash it once a year, whether it needs it or not.
Forgot it this May tho, cause I was riding..
maybe next year..
I bought the Rocket to ride hard, so I do...
Good luck in the future guys,
may we get many more miles and smiles out of them....

Mexican, you're rocket isn't even broke in yet.. After about 40,000 it should start shifting smoother!.. lol

At 73K miles, I've had no mechanical problems.. Valve clearances were last checked at about 12,000 miles, original timing chain and tensioner.. My bike was down a for quite a while in 2011 though. Mostly waiting on parts.. I replaced the TPS (3rd time), replaced plug wires (3 were cracked though), plugs, flushed coolant, new battery, and I'm sure I'm missing something. I change the oil every 8-13K miles or so.. I am about to replace the clutch plates and springs. My clutch has become very 'grabby', if that's a word, when releasing.. But with 73K miles, I'm not complaining. I have greased the rear gears occaisionally, but have never taken the differential off to grease those splines.. Hmmm.. I don't beat the crap out of it all the time, but I do have to spin up the back tire once in a while, or pull the front end up.. or show those pesky ZX-14s and 'Busas a thing or two.. at least up to 3rd gear.. lol After that, they are GONE!..

Back