Clutch switch causing no start?

DodahMan

Turbocharged
Ride
Yamaha Roadstar, 2011 Triumph Rocket III Tour
The only problems I have had thus far centers on that cheap looking switch on the clutch. This switch is loose from the housing and the shop manual offers no help regarding how this switch is secured in the housing.

The fuel indication and miles remaining estimate are INOP. Hit a pothole today and suddenly it started working. Stopped for dinner and upon returning, the clutch switch was totally detached. No start. Check engine light accompanied by no start. The engine would not even turn over. The fuel indication had failed also.

I fiddled with the ignition, no avail. I fiddled with that clutch switch and suddenly it was able to start. The fuel indication is not normal. Topped it off and it is acting like fuel was never placed in the tank.

Please, anybody have suggestions?

I am thinking about contacting Triumph about this.

The only problems I have had thus far centers on that cheap looking switch on the clutch. This switch is loose from the housing and the shop manual offers no help regarding how this switch is secured in the housing.

The fuel indication and miles remaining estimate are INOP. Hit a pothole today and suddenly it started working. Stopped for dinner and upon returning, the clutch switch was totally detached. No start. Check engine light accompanied by no start. The engine would not even turn over. The fuel indication had failed also.

I fiddled with the ignition, no avail. I fiddled with that clutch switch and suddenly it was able to start. The fuel indication is not normal. Topped it off and it is acting like fuel was never placed in the tank.

Please, anybody have suggestions?

I am thinking about contacting Triumph about this.
Clutch switch is a known problem - you could just bridge the wires unless you have installed on or @DEcosse keyless ignition systems or you have installed cruise control. As for then distance to empty - that’s never been real good some of us just reset the trip meter and refill at around 250 klms

Clutch switch is a known problem - you could just bridge the wires unless you have installed on or @DEcosse keyless ignition systems or you have installed cruise control. As for then distance to empty - that’s never been real good some of us just reset the trip meter and refill at around 250 klms
Thanks for your quick reply. I think Triumph owes us a fix. I have to laugh at this though because the English have always had "jack-leg" issues with their electrical wiring schematics. It is hard to imagine why a simple clutch switch would be able to shut down the entire motorcycle. I am several hundred miles from a Triumph dealer. Your help and advice mean a lot. Thanks.

Back