Clutch adjustment driving me up a wall.

Micksan

Supercharged
Ride
2023 Triumph R3 GT, 2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT,
This is on a 2014 Touring. Has about 3100 miles on it. I have been pulling wrenches on my bikes for more than a few decades. The clutch adjustment is supposed to be a very simple task. I have about a hundred miles on it since I purchased it. The clutch has always pulled hard. Decided to put a set of barback on it. Just prior to that I had changed the oil etc. Checked the clutch on the lever. Seemed OK.
After I installed the two in-bar backs the problem started. I had to remove the cam attached to the lower cable. It might be a tooth or two off. Noticed the cable had a drag in it while it was not connected. Ran some chain lube through it. much better.
Now comes the problem. I reassembled. Went to adjust it and it has way too much slack. I have adjusted the top & bottom adjusters and it is nowhere close. I am talking maybe at best an inch gap at the lever. I have a workshop manual. but it must be for an older model. The picture shows a different cam on the clutch spline.
One thing I did try was to make a spacer about 1/2 inch long spacer to go on the cable at the lever side. Took up a lot of the slack. But can barely move the lever.
I also tried removing the risers/barbacks and going to the stock. Same thing. It is almost like the cable is stretched.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.I know it is something simple that I am overlooking.
Russ in OKC

This is on a 2014 Touring. Has about 3100 miles on it. I have been pulling wrenches on my bikes for more than a few decades. The clutch adjustment is supposed to be a very simple task. I have about a hundred miles on it since I purchased it. The clutch has always pulled hard. Decided to put a set of barback on it. Just prior to that I had changed the oil etc. Checked the clutch on the lever. Seemed OK.
After I installed the two in-bar backs the problem started. I had to remove the cam attached to the lower cable. It might be a tooth or two off. Noticed the cable had a drag in it while it was not connected. Ran some chain lube through it. much better.
Now comes the problem. I reassembled. Went to adjust it and it has way too much slack. I have adjusted the top & bottom adjusters and it is nowhere close. I am talking maybe at best an inch gap at the lever. I have a workshop manual. but it must be for an older model. The picture shows a different cam on the clutch spline.
One thing I did try was to make a spacer about 1/2 inch long spacer to go on the cable at the lever side. Took up a lot of the slack. But can barely move the lever.
I also tried removing the risers/barbacks and going to the stock. Same thing. It is almost like the cable is stretched.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.I know it is something simple that I am overlooking.
Russ in OKC
Any photos do we can better understand the issues

The clutch should not be hard to pull. If it is then there is a problem.

If the problem is in the cable, such as fraying or a foreign object restricting movement, then you could disconnect the bottom end and check to see if the inner cable moves freely. If it moves freely then the problem is inside.

If the clutch had been adjusted incorrectly then the lifter piece may be worn. That will also cause problems. If you look at the Detent Spring instructions in my signature then you will see what is involved in replacement.

The clutch should not be hard to pull. If it is then there is a problem.

If the problem is in the cable, such as fraying or a foreign object restricting movement, then you could disconnect the bottom end and check to see if the inner cable moves freely. If it moves freely then the problem is inside.

If the clutch had been adjusted incorrectly then the lifter piece may be worn. That will also cause problems. If you look at the Detent Spring instructions in my signature then you will see what is involved in replacement.
First of all thanks for the help. I will check out your write-up on the springs.
I do not believe there were any fish hooks in the cable. After I flushed it with the chain lube it felt like new. I purchased it with 3146 miles on the clock. It was supposed to have had the break in service. Right now it has 3412 miles on it. The clutch has been stiff since I got it. The only thing I can figure is that it came from the factory or the break in service did not adjust it properly.
Only thing I can say is that it is better now than 500 miles down the road .

post pic of the cam and dot on the shaft
if it ran with adjusted to tight then it is possible it is wore out on the lifter/cross shaft.
worked on an 05 that was wore out so ii rotated the cam but did not help that much so we went in and replaced the lifter stuff and the cross shaft and then it was good easy to pull.

An inch gap at the clutch lever is probably causing issues as only 3mm is acceptable. Work the knurls or the cable and take out that slack, adjust gap to 3mm a dime and a penny together works.

I was pretty upset to hear it might be in the clutch itself. This bike has such low mileage. Then I remembered that my wife's bike a 2017 Indian Vintage left along the side of the road because of bad springs. She had all of 5200 miles on the clock. They were replaced with the heavy-duty springs. I just can't figure why they put in a small spring that seems to go out quite frequently. If it is bad on mine I hope there is a heavy-duty version. Will probably replace the stock springs while I am at it.

I doubt its any issue with springs, you stated 1in at handle, that is completely off. Do you know how to post pictures? Get clutch adjusted correctly and lets see if theres still a problem

I doubt its any issue with springs, you stated 1in at handle, that is completely off. Do you know how to post pictures? Get clutch adjusted correctly and lets see if theres still a problem
I'd move the link a spline or two and see how it reacts to the change. Simplest and cheapest effort. If doesn't help easy to put back like it was.

i dont know because havent seen it yet i was only referring to that 1in gap at lever, i agree about that cam being off dot

Back