Clutch adjustment driving me up a wall.

Something went sideways so when it was disconnected for the bar install.

The lifter shaft has a spring on it to keep it from sitting on the lifter piece / pull rod when clutch lever is out. When the arm that connects the shaft to the cable was taken off, the shaft might have spun out of correct position.
It should be rotated in anticlockwise direction until it wont turn any further, then as you let go you should feel the spring turn it clockwise a little.
The arm gets put on at that point with the dot line up
Then cable connects and free play at lever to be 2-3mm

I'd move the link a spline or two and see how it reacts to the change. Simplest and cheapest effort. If doesn't help easy to put back like it was.
In this case, the pictures will not do much good. I am going back out to the shop.I found out last night there are two alignment marks on the spline& cam. I am going to try that. Also, I want to get it into the MC lift table. Will need some help . That will make it easier to see what is going on, plus be easier on this old back.

Before I go too much further. I have the bike in the stand now. ( with the help of pushing it on. Now I can see better. I found the alignment dot on the cam, easy to see. The spline is harder to see. I found a small indent. With nothing attached, it is at the 5 Oclock position. When I put the cam on w/o the cable and rotate it, the internal spring snaps it back to the 5 position. I take it that I line up the two lock it into place with the bolt. Rotate it to hook up the cable then adjust. I sure wish my book was more up-to-date, or I had the cam they show from the earlier model. .

Something went sideways so when it was disconnected for the bar install.

The lifter shaft has a spring on it to keep it from sitting on the lifter piece / pull rod when clutch lever is out. When the arm that connects the shaft to the cable was taken off, the shaft might have spun out of correct position.
It should be rotated in anticlockwise direction until it wont turn any further, then as you let go you should feel the spring turn it clockwise a little.
The arm gets put on at that point with the dot line up
Then cable connects and free play at lever to be 2-3mm
Thanks for the help. Noticed you in Ireland. Surprised you can run around those small streets w/ the R3. We were over there for 3 weeks last Aug. Wish we had our bikes, but you folks drive on the wrong side of the street. Did enjoy everything . All my grandparents came from there. Got to see a lot. The people treated us like old friends. If you get over this direction keep us in mind. We are about 5 miles off Rt66. I can show you some roads w/o police or speed limits.

If you removed the belcrank or cam from the splined lifter shaft and didn't install it in exactly the same location, that can screw things up. There is a dot on the belcrank and one on the splined shaft that need to match up. You adjust the cables from there.

And now I notice the guys have already passed this info on... Good luck.

Last edited:
Before I go too much further. I have the bike in the stand now. ( with the help of pushing it on. Now I can see better. I found the alignment dot on the cam, easy to see. The spline is harder to see. I found a small indent. With nothing attached, it is at the 5 Oclock position. When I put the cam on w/o the cable and rotate it, the internal spring snaps it back to the 5 position. I take it that I line up the two lock it into place with the bolt. Rotate it to hook up the cable then adjust. I sure wish my book was more up-to-date, or I had the cam they show from the earlier model. .

Yeah that sounds good. Is it sorted now?
Where in ireland did you go?

Yeah that sounds good. Is it sorted now?
Where in ireland did you go?
I am going to do a little write-up. A lot of small things added up. That trip was the August prior to Covid. Started in Dublin. Walked all over the old town. I have an artificial leg so they let us into a lot of the govt owned sites free. From there to Athlone. were there in 2000, and decided that it would be one of our top places to move to if we leave the USA. Next Limerick Another inviting place, then cork cove the cliffs. Made a lot of good memories. Next time I'll fly on military flights that land in Shannon. It is free for us. I am a retired Navy. Where do you live? Come March 17th everyone over here will be Irish.

Thanks for the help. Noticed you in Ireland. Surprised you can run around those small streets w/ the R3. We were over there for 3 weeks last Aug. Wish we had our bikes, but you folks drive on the wrong side of the street. Did enjoy everything . All my grandparents came from there. Got to see a lot. The people treated us like old friends. If you get over this direction keep us in mind. We are about 5 miles off Rt66. I can show you some roads w/o police or speed limits.
I may want to see those roads...

Back