Cheap alternative to Gopro

Maelstrom

Supercharged
Ride
2007 Rocket III Classic Tourer
image.jpg

I modified a broken otterbox by attaching it to a RAM mounting system inside my windscreen. I originally intended to keep my iPhone mounted so I could see if someone was trying to call during rides, and also to make use of the maps app as a GPS alternative. After using it that way for a while, I thought if I had holes strategically placed in the otterbox, It might be possible to shoot some video. So I dremelled holes in the appropriate spots and it seems to work well. I had a friend ask me "why didn't you just get a gopro?"...I replied "because a gopro costs several hundred dollars and this was free." I guess this is a decent and cheap option, or perhaps a good temporary one. It works pretty good, below is a YouTube video of some boring test footage. The original video is actually better quality than this compressed version.

Last edited:
The actual video is really pretty good, there is none of the shifty pixelation or fluctuating exposure seen here and the overall picture quality is very good. A lot is lost during the video compression, I may have to figure out a different way to convert the video.

Found an alternative for 60quid. Cheaper than me having to buy an iPhone (which I'd never do as it goes against so many personal hates).

Back