Can you start/run the touring without the instrument cluster?

I didn't even try to start my bike, just powered it on without the cluster on there (was testing lights when installing LED) and when I got it all together the ECU had alerts I had to clear to even get the bike running, so I'd say nope on the running it without the instrument cluster.

Haven't noticed my ass getting any hotter with the Ramair, but on the other hand 100+ degrees over here is not exactly the norm.

Definitely can't run it without the cluster. I've tried to start it without the cluster just being stupid before while tuning things. Generally makes me **** my pants that I totally busted the bike, then I remember to plug it back in.

And yes, if you flick on the power while the cluster is off you get the 1609, but you can clear it easily with an OBD reader. There's no actual error, just means that it was trying to communicate and couldn't, because the cluster wasn't there.

on the classics
i was able with help to take out the rear bolt on the tank and bring it back enough to clear the gauges then put the bolt back in and use the rod. i had fender covers across the fender.
this may or may not work on the touring.
Hey TURBO200R4, what a great tip! I tried that yesterday on my 2015 Roadster and it worked perfectly. I removed the rear bolt, slid the tank rearwards a couple of inches and was able to hinge the tank up without interference from the instruments. Then I used the rod to prop it up as usual. The the tank was so stable without the bolt in that I didn't bother inserting the bolt until it was time to replace the tank. I have various electrical equipment close to the instruments, and wiring wrapped around the area, that make it a real hassle to remove them to lift the tank. Now I will never have to do that again. Why didn't I think of that? Thank you!!

Back