Can you start/run the touring without the instrument cluster?

Bedifferent

Old man on a bike
Ride
2015 Rocket 3 Touring
My question is...If you are working on your bike and you have the instrument cluster removed so you can raise and lower the gas tank, can you start and run the engine with the instrument cluster unplugged and removed? Will you get a code after the fact? For example... if you trying to balance the throttle bodies.

Interesting you should ask this because I just did this the other day. I thought it would run with the cluster removed but I was wrong. I had to plug it back in to start the bike so I could balance the throttle bodies. I also got a P6109(?) Can-Bus failure code but it cleared without any issue with Tune ECU.

bob

on the classics
i was able with help to take out the rear bolt on the tank and bring it back enough to clear the gauges then put the bolt back in and use the rod. i had fender covers across the fender.
this may or may not work on the touring.

Interesting you should ask this because I just did this the other day. I thought it would run with the cluster removed but I was wrong. I had to plug it back in to start the bike so I could balance the throttle bodies. I also got a P6109(?) Can-Bus failure code but it cleared without any issue with Tune ECU.

bob

I wondered if you might have an answer because I noticed you said you smoothed out a little vibration by balancing the throttle bodies. I have noticed that I'm feeling a little vibration at idle that hasn't always been there. I also see a little/faint vibration in some parts of the rpm range. I'm going to hookup TuneECU and see what kind of readings are there.

Still not sure on the balancing procedure even though I have read several of the posts on how it might be done. There seems to be some conflicting opinions. If they are off, I may just take it to a dealer to have it done. Sounds like a pain removing the air box and all. I going to do some more reading.

Could you get to the two adjusting screws with the tank lowered and the air box off? Do you think you got the code because you tried to start it with the cluster unplugged? Did you have to remove your air box? Inquiring minds want to know.

If they are off, I may just take it to a dealer to have it done

IIRC the dealer doesn't set by numbers, they just use a gizmo that gets close enough to give them a go. I could be wrong and they are actually setting them now by numbers.

Sounds like a pain removing the air box and all.

Now is the time to go with a RamAir. That is all I have and I wanted to check it for cracks so my TBs were very easy to get accessed.

Could you get to the two adjusting screws with the tank lowered and the air box off? Do you think you got the code because you tried to start it with the cluster unplugged? Did you have to remove your air box? Inquiring minds want to know.

I am pretty sure you will need the tank raised, I just put the cluster back in place and held there with one of the front screws. I can't think of any other reason it threw the code other than the cluster was off. When you say air box I believe you are talking about the plenum (grey box on top of TBs). I am pretty sure it has to come off to adjust the TBs, I don't see how you could access the adjusting screws otherwise.

bob

IIRC the dealer doesn't set by numbers, they just use a gizmo that gets close enough to give them a go. I could be wrong and they are actually setting them now by numbers.

Now is the time to go with a RamAir. That is all I have and I wanted to check it for cracks so my TBs were very easy to get accessed.

I am pretty sure you will need the tank raised, I just put the cluster back in place and held there with one of the front screws. I can't think of any other reason it threw the code other than the cluster was off. When you say air box I believe you are talking about the plenum (grey box on top of TBs). I am pretty sure it has to come off to adjust the TBs, I don't see how you could access the adjusting screws otherwise.

bob

Yup, I kind of figure the plenum would have to be moved out of the way.

I noticed in looking at the service manual they actually don't recommend using the diagnostic tool but actually use a high $$$$ vacuum gage to read the actual vacuum. It could be because and I quote....

The Triumph diagnostic tool does not "support" the throttle balancing adjustment for Rocket III Touring...only the Classic and Roadster.. The key word being support.

With regard to the touring....They say....

The Rocket III Touring throttles cannot be balanced using the Triumph diagnostic tool. Instead, Triumph recommend the use of the Souriau Indiana digital inlet vacuum analyser or similar device.

They say to unplug the MAP sensor and hook the 3 vacuum lines to the analyzer to balance the readings. Just more unanswered questions....

I guess the first thing to do is see what TuneECU shows. Thanks

The nice thing about the K&Ns or the RamAir is you can take off all of the plumbing for the air. It comes in under the seat, through the filter and then up through a curved, restrictive route to the plenum. Once you have the new filter/s you can take that stuff off and chuck it (or store it) so anytime you need to get to the TBs you have much easier access as well to the top of the engine. As a bonus, if you want you can move the radiator overflow bottle into the airfilter box or use the box for storage (which we really don't need on the Touring).

bob

The law of unintended consequences: I found with the RamAir mod that now air warmed by the engine flows under the seat, warming my buns. Looking forward to cooler weather for more reason than one.

The law of unintended consequences: I found with the RamAir mod that now air warmed by the engine flows under the seat, warming my buns. Looking forward to cooler weather for more reason than one.
That sucks Paul. Throw a towel or something in there. I've thought it would be an awesome place to put a water tank for water/methanol injection if I ever turbo my bike like I want to.

Back