Cam Chain tensioner adjust

Rocking the bike back and fourth to make sure the tensioner adjust will not do anything to the rear. Is the clunking there when you ride it or just when you rock it? Also I see you have a what year?

You should drain the bevel box and check what comes out. Then if you have never pulled the bevel box off the swing frame to inspect and grease the drive shaft splines you should. Also how many miles are on her? Lastly we will see how that goes and eliminate the bevel box and splines first before we drop the hammer.
37k miles,remove and grease shaft spline every tyre change along with diff oil change.09 bike.it does it at slow speed over speed humps.thanks for the reply

37k miles,remove and grease shaft spline every tyre change along with diff oil change.09 bike.it does it at slow speed over speed humps.thanks for the reply
Just to be clear you pull the complete bevel box off the swing frame and expose the drive shaft spline not the wheel spline. Some people mix these up a bit since Triumph does not list it as a maintenance routine in the maual. Also since mot people do not rock their bike back and forth in gear you might be not be used to mormal gear lash.

Just to be clear you pull the complete bevel box off the swing frame and expose the drive shaft spline not the wheel spline. Some people mix these up a bit since Triumph does not list it as a maintenance routine in the maual. Also since mot people do not rock their bike back and forth in gear you might be not be used to mormal gear lash.
Thats correct i remove the whole thing and grease the shaft splines i even removed the swing arm and greased the front end of the shaft too.i didnt just rock it backwards though i stopped on a hill selected 5th gear and let it run backwards letting the clutch out to spin the motor...ooops

False alarm,just found the rear indicator has fallen off and is hanging by the wires it swings and hits the tyre which takes it up between the tyre and the mudguard creating the clunking...sorry Warp and once again thanks

Last edited:
Thats correct i remove the whole thing and grease the shaft splines i even removed the swing arm and greased the front end of the shaft too.i didnt just rock it backwards though i stopped on a hill selected 5th gear and let it run backwards letting the clutch out to spin the motor...ooops

False alarm,just found the rear indicator has fallen off and is hanging by the wires it swings and hits the tyre which takes it up between the tyre and the mudguard creating the clunking...sorry Warp and once again thanks
No problem glad you got it sorted out.

Last edited:
If the measurement is 16 mm or more then you need the spacer which is .390" diameter by .350" long. A 10 mm bolt shank is a good place to start.

Measured the cam chain tensioner plunger drop today, it was 25mm. Is this too much even with the 10mm spacer i.e. time for a new cam chain? The manual just says add the spacer after 16mm, but does not specify an upper limit of drop.

Thanks warp, I figured as much. Can't complain though, got the full service life out of it. The bike bandit diagram shows the chain to be item #6, but then identifies it as a 38t cam sprocket. Huh? I assume I will be buying items 6, 8, and 9, is that correct?

rockcam.gif

Thanks warp, I figured as much. Can't complain though, got the full service life out of it. The bike bandit diagram shows the chain to be item #6, but then identifies it as a 38t cam sprocket. Huh? I assume I will be buying items 6, 8, and 9, is that correct?

rockcam.gif
Yes correct and you will need the cam alignment tool. not sure when you last checked the valve shims but this is a good time to do since the chain will be off.

Measured the cam chain tensioner plunger drop today, it was 25mm. Is this too much even with the 10mm spacer i.e. time for a new cam chain? The manual just says add the spacer after 16mm, but does not specify an upper limit of drop.

true but it does specify a chain length limit (section 3.11) across 23 links. when you take yours out, i'd be interested in the measurement you get

Thanks Turbo, I will post pictures of all the parts I replace. Should be interesting to see what they look like after 103k miles, and since the valves have not been checked since 10k miles it will be interesting to see where they are at too. Bike still runs great but I think I am pushing my luck to ride it any more until this maintenance is done.

Back