Buzzy's Revival: 1982 XS650SJ Heritage Special

I did the sniff check on the dipstick and find no trace of gasoline smell.
20211027_160945.jpg

Only leaking external from the carb.

And the right side cover came in.
20211027_161041.jpg

It isn't as pretty but does have character.

@atomsplitter, I did check the swingarm and find no play in any direction other than up and down.
Check the swing arm bushes and see if they are plastic or bronze. If they are plastic replace them before they become problematic. The headstock may need adjusted if it's not the swing arm. If memory serves the later models had a grease nipple at the center of the swingarm.

Bronze bushings can be purchased here: Bushings - Swingarm - Bronze H2 - KZ900 - XS400 - XS500 - XS650 - Z1 - Pkg 2

Last edited:
Check the swing arm bushes and see if they are plastic or bronze. If they are plastic replace them before they become problematic. The headstock may need adjusted if it's not the swing arm. If memory serves the later models had a grease nipple at the center of the swingarm.

Bronze bushings can be purchased here: Bushings - Swingarm - Bronze H2 - KZ900 - XS400 - XS500 - XS650 - Z1 - Pkg 2
Thanks for that link brother.

I just did a check of the steering head by getting the bike off the stands and locking the front brake. I rocked it back and forth, left and right. No play, no clicking. My thought now goes to the front forks and the excessive amount of dive I get from them. As if there is no fluid in them. I will investigate this more in the light of day. When I rebuild the forks, I will get new seals and anything else that appears to be worn or just old.

I ordered a new set of grommets from PartShark for both the main side covers and the two lower covers. I have neither lower, but they did have one so I ordered it too.

I rode Buzzy to work this morning as a test of suspension and general feel. The suspension is wobbly moving between lanes and across longitudinal lines. But other wise fairly smooth.

The headlight with the new battery seems adequate even by today's standards for lighting.

I noticed the mileage as I pulled into the parking spot. Is this a lucky sign?

It's possible the oil only needs changed. Your model has the drain plugs in the lower fork legs so you can replace the fork oil without disassembling the forks from the bike. There's instructions in the manual at XS650.com for draining and refilling the fork oil, page 12: https://www.xs650.de/literatur/wsh/pdf/02-wartung.pdf

Last edited:
It's possible the oil only needs changed. Your model has the drain plugs in the lower fork legs so you can replace the fork oil without disassembling the forks from the bike. There's instructions in the manual at XS650.com for draining and refilling the fork oil, page 12. You may have to google "XS650 Shop Manual" and click on: https://www.xs650.de/literatur/wsh/pdf/02-wartung.pdf
Thanks for that info, I read the page 12 information, sounds easy to do even for me.

I do have a new manual arriving today via Amazon. Hopefully its pages will last without being ripped away... ;)

Thanks for that info, I read the page 12 information, sounds easy to do even for me.

I do have a new manual arriving today via Amazon. Hopefully its pages will last without being ripped away... ;)
The great thing about the old XS is most everything was made for the shade tree wrench head to work on it. If the forks don't improve with fresh oil, you may need stiffer springs, I also recommend a fork brace. I put a fork brace on anything 1970's Yamaha so it doesn't track with road camber.

Attachments

• P5280034.JPG
    P5280034.JPG
    178 KB · Views: 10
  • P5280035.JPG
    P5280035.JPG
    180.2 KB · Views: 10
  • P5280045.JPG
    P5280045.JPG
    162.6 KB · Views: 10
The great thing about the old XS is most everything was made for the shade tree wrench head to work on it. If the forks don't improve with fresh oil, you may need stiffer springs, I also recommend a fork brace. I put a fork brace on anything 1970's Yamaha so it doesn't track with road camber.
I am looking for one now. I need the 35mm diameter size. The XS650 forum has a few new option, no one so far has one for sale though. You wouldn't have a line on one would you? The least expensive are from China, but with the supply chain issues, I have no confidence i would get them any time soon

I am looking for one now. I need the 35mm diameter size. The XS650 forum has a few new option, no one so far has one for sale though. You wouldn't have a line on one would you? The least expensive are from China, but with the supply chain issues, I have no confidence i would get them any time soon

From Thailand:

Back