BRASS TACKS ON FRONT FORKS

I used string and a helper
Never played with inverted forks before and saw the tool listed as required to do the job in the manual. It was pretty late saturday and had been at it all day when i got around to the forks. Apiece of string or a plastic tie down is all that is required. Chalk one up to experience, :whitstling::whitstling::whitstling::whitstling::whitstling::whitstling::whitstling::whitstling::whitstling: Still plan on welding a nut to the end of the tool just so i can get my $50.00 dollars out of it.:thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Last edited:
Just got off the phone with Hermy's and sending part no 3880090-TO301 back and getting tool part 3880085-TO301 by Friday. Good people.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Forks are back together. Used a tie down to hold damper rod up while inserting fork tool. (Wife helped) Thanks for the info. Still have the tool coming in from hermy's.

Can someone who has this part get me the three measurements indicated by the arrows? I have an idea on how to make this tool for cheap. If it works, I'll post how to do it.

T3880067.jpg

Ok folks tool no. T3880067 is required to remove and reinstall springs. How do you get around tool 3880085-TO301 to reinstall? You need this tool to pull the damper upwards. Is there a way around this? Hermy's sent me tool no.3880090-TO301. Fat #ucking chance of that working. No threads. Not happy. Checked my order and had it right. They #ucked up. Going to have a conversation with them come tuesday morning.:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

I'm decided I was not going to buy this dumb tool just used to pull up the damper. I put a second nut on the threaded end of the damper rod, then used a length of picture hanging wire twist tied under that second nut. I made a loop on the other end of the picture wire, attached that to a bungee cord and attached that to something in the garage to keep the damper rod fully extended. Worked fine. I'm sure there are dozen ways to skin this cat. I be you can find an internally threaded rod to screw on there and use another piece of threaded stock to create a similar tool, but I went super simple.

I'm decided I was not going to buy this dumb tool just used to pull up the damper. I put a second nut on the threaded end of the damper rod, then used a length of picture hanging wire twist tied under that second nut. I made a loop on the other end of the picture wire, attached that to a bungee cord and attached that to something in the garage to keep the damper rod fully extended. Worked fine. I'm sure there are dozen ways to skin this cat. I be you can find an internally threaded rod to screw on there and use another piece of threaded stock to create a similar tool, but I went super simple.
I haven't attempted this yet, just got the new springs today, but I'm thinking that maybe a length of PVC pipe of the correct diameter screwed onto the end of the damper rod (it'll probably self-tap...) would do the job. Once I get into it, I'll figure it out - they don't call me "MacGyver" for nothing.

I bought one of these ,can’t recall what diameter off the top of my head, just drilled and tapped each side and Bobs your uncle ,works a treat and cheap!

Attachments

• 92DE33A5-F5FF-424F-951E-19A81EC364A5.jpeg
    92DE33A5-F5FF-424F-951E-19A81EC364A5.jpeg
    68.4 KB · Views: 4
Ok folks tool no. T3880067 is required to remove and reinstall springs. How do you get around tool 3880085-TO301 to reinstall? You need this tool to pull the damper upwards. Is there a way around this? Hermy's sent me tool no.3880090-TO301. Fat #ucking chance of that working. No threads. Not happy. Checked my order and had it right. They #ucked up. Going to have a conversation with them come tuesday morning.:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:
I made one , used a 2" stainless pipe coupling, a piece of 1/ 4 steel plate, 2 carriage bolts and nuts. Drill and tap pipe coupling to accept carriage bolt thread, screw bolts into thread and use nuts to lock. Believe you could use 2' pipe instead of coupling. The other tool I welded a nut on tube or conduit and best I remember, it worked fine.

Last edited:
I prefer to buy the recommended tools for the job. I did do this job back in 2018 but plan on doing it again shortly. Will post picks. Tool 3880085-TO301 is not required but it is a simple and easy way to get the job done. The tools are not that expensive and they do a very fine job.

I haven't attempted this yet, just got the new springs today, but I'm thinking that maybe a length of PVC pipe of the correct diameter screwed onto the end of the damper rod (it'll probably self-tap...) would do the job. Once I get into it, I'll figure it out - they don't call me "MacGyver" for nothing.

i used a piece of clear plastic cooler hose.

Back