Braking in the Corner? Yes or No?

Do you aply your brakes while making a turn?

• Yes, routinely. It's OK

• No, never- you're not supposed to do that

Results are only viewable after voting.
The use of brakes in any corner is fine as long as you use good judgement. When brakes are applied regardless of lean angle, road condition, weather, local taxes, or your need to pee, the bike weight shifts to the front wheel. the harder you apply either brake the more the weight shifts. If you use the front tire only you can overwhelm the limits of traction leaned over and down you go, if you overdo the back brake the rear tire unloads and tire lockup can occur losing traction and down you go. The key is not over doing it on either tire and that takes good judgement and some experience. The real reason braking is discouraged is because the steering gets really heavy and handlebar control becomes like wrestling a bull by the horns, it tends to take you where you don't want to go. The ratio I live by is 85/15. The front is good for 85% of braking and the rear 15%. That means if you're going to use the brakes in a corner to trim speed, start with the rear and add front if necessary. Of course the best answer is: don't go into a curve so hot you challenge the laws of physics and your own riding capabilities.

I was going to put my 2 cents in but then I thought. 2.5 years ago I was on the back roads Hooning it up feeling like I owned the back roads on my 14 Rocket. I found out a short time later I did not even rent the back roads. I went into a turn that I was some what familiar with, did my quick braking and dipped hard into a relatively sharp turn and ended up S/B in the N/B lane. I pulled off the road and got off the Rocket and tried to make sense of what I did (Too fast for the turn). I went in too hot riding 'over my head' (ability) and luckily there was no traffic N/B. So don't do what I did. I don't anymore. Those centrifugal skids are difficult to get out of your undies by the way. I bought new ones.👍

When I returned to riding I was taught not to brake in corners (only before) and rode that way for some time. Now, I follow the philosophy presented here and routinely brake in corners (easily/lightly/carefully). What do you do?
It is either brake or go over the edge, lol. Braking before the curve would be slllooowwww.

I was going to put my 2 cents in but then I thought. 2.5 years ago I was on the back roads Hooning it up feeling like I owned the back roads on my 14 Rocket. I found out a short time later I did not even rent the back roads. I went into a turn that I was some what familiar with, did my quick braking and dipped hard into a relatively sharp turn and ended up S/B in the N/B lane. I pulled off the road and got off the Rocket and tried to make sense of what I did (Too fast for the turn). I went in too hot riding 'over my head' (ability) and luckily there was no traffic N/B. So don't do what I did. I don't anymore. Those centrifugal skids are difficult to get out of your undies by the way. I bought new ones.👍

The best lesson ;) I've done the same due to metal fatigue, didn't realize my middle finger was still on the brake lever and rolled open, which applied brake as I rotated. Stood the bike right up as my finger applied my brake and I shot across into a pull out area...

Brown moment for sure 😀

Actually Journeyman was with me on my worst corner ever but he may not know it. Going up Roan Mountain he wanted get out front to video us going by him. Like a good show off I ran the redline in second on a 203 hp Roadster to get around making a loud and impressive statement. I realized I was way to hot for the right hander and decided to grab all the brake the bike had trying to stay straight until the last second. I figured it was my day to go off road and crash but I was going to try and save it best I could. I’d rather low side and slide out than just run into the trees. At the white line on the other side after brutal braking I threw it to the right and made it. I rode like whipped pup for the next few miles as realized what a fool I am.

Actually Journeyman was with me on my worst corner ever but he may not know it. Going up Roan Mountain he wanted get out front to video us going by him. Like a good show off I ran the redline in second on a 203 hp Roadster to get around making a loud and impressive statement. I realized I was way to hot for the right hander and decided to grab all the brake the bike had trying to stay straight until the last second. I figured it was my day to go off road and crash but I was going to try and save it best I could. I’d rather low side and slide out than just run into the trees. At the white line on the other side after brutal braking I threw it to the right and made it. I rode like whipped pup for the next few miles as realized what a fool I am.
Ah yes... sobering reality of our meat wrapped chalk stick carcasses. It's amazing how we all forget that at our age (I'm 35) that even fallkng in the shower is almost guaranteed to send us to the hospital. Yet we ride motorcycles

correction...'what a fool you were!'..not 'what a fool i am!'...im sure youre not always doing foolish things!..lol

i was bought up on a farm and rode my bike around slippery grass paddocks. I soon learned that applying the front brake going into corners had consequences like sliding off into probably cow shyte!...
I think this has taught me not to front brake whilst in corners and i always do my braking if required prior to leaning into a corner...i honestly cannot recall ever front braking whilst in a corner...or rear for that matter...i'll use the gears before i use the brakes setting my speed so i can ride the bike around the corner to my ability. If i need to brake as well its while im still upright then off the brake and into the corner..

Back