Brake light won't shut off

Here are some pics. You can see the white outline on where the hole was, and another white mark where it was going to it through as well. I would HIGHLY recommend everyone check this wire for signs of the same thing. On the 2011 roadster the wire runs to the right side loom behind the gas tank, and hooks up to the brake switch that's behind the rear brake reservoir.

I will probably post a clear and more concise post in the common problems area to help others avoid this happen to their bikes.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1310622371.117573.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1310622371.117573.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 137
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1310622399.534560.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1310622399.534560.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 132
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1310622428.342950.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1310622428.342950.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 132
Here are some pics. You can see the white outline on where the hole was, and another white mark where it was going to it through as well. I would HIGHLY recommend everyone check this wire for signs of the same thing. On the 2011 roadster the wire runs to the right side loom behind the gas tank, and hooks up to the brake switch that's behind the rear brake reservoir.

I will probably post a clear and more concise post in the common problems area to help others avoid this happen to their bikes.

Thank you so much for this post, the same exact thing happened to me on my 2011 roadster!

Had the same brake light sticking on problem on my '07. Mine wasn't the harness, it was the hydraulic pressure switch that is bad. The switch is tucked up near the rear wheel at the end of the rear brake line. You have to remove the heat shield and drain the brake fluid to replace. It's tight in there unless you have a lift. I did mine on the ground and it was just a bit more difficult.

I bought the switch from Bikebandit (seem to remember it was around $30) and put it on myself, since the bike was long out of the 2 year warranty. You'll need to bleed the rear brakes after re-assembly and it takes a bit of effort to get all the air out due to the location of the switch. I use speedbleeders, but a mityvac or a large syringe with surgical tubing will do the job just fine.

DSCF0930.JPG

I had the same problem many years ago on my 2005std, replaced the brake switch and all was well.

Back