Bleeding Cooling System

My coolant has never been anywhere near 218c :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Yeah, most wont. It's people who live in a tropic environment that sit stuck in track for literally hours while all the cars around you push ambient temps over 100 that cause it, shows how tough the motors are. I had to sit in traffic for 3 hours last year one day, made about 1/2 mile progress in that whole time, bike was so hot I couldnt touch it anywhere but the grips because EVERYTHING was heat soked, frame, tank, everything. Eventually said **** this and rode on the side walk.

If the cap was bad there would not be vaccum to pull fluid out of the over fill tank when it cools off.
There are two separate seals for pressure and vacuum. It is possible that the cap could allow coolant to blow out at less than the required 15 psi yet still suck what remains back in as the motor cools. No idea what year Rocket the OP rides but there were quite a few problems with leaky rad caps on early bikes. I had to replace mine years ago.

There are two separate seals for pressure and vacuum. It is possible that the cap could allow coolant to blow out at less than the required 15 psi yet still suck what remains back in as the motor cools. No idea what year Rocket the OP rides but there were quite a few problems with leaky rad caps on early bikes. I had to replace mine years ago.
That's exactly what mine was doing, a little crud under the check valve in the center will puke a bunch of coolant!

That concept of the radiator cap working that way never occurred to me, but it makes sense. I will try a new cap. Thanks.

I have found that on all cooling systems that if you refill the system extremely slowly it will expel all the air ,as others have said it sounds like the radiator cap is faulty

Back