I can not believe they cant handle these problems a 12 volt test light can tell u if the injectors and coils are firing. And if the ecu is not controling them then u probably have an alarm problem.
the new Rockets are quite impressive but way too much tech for me; will stick with my old 2014 R3R valve cover gasket is the only stinger with it otherwise has been bulletproof but will be riding up to nashville to have widowmaker work on my bike.(this will be gasket no. 4 and hopefully the last ( much thx k. frazier)!

Update: Well, they finally tracked it back to the starter solenoid. They replaced it under warranty. It wouldn’t start, but they downloaded firmware for the ECM and it started right up. The bike started throwing codes (engine check). They thought maybe a wire was pinched. Said I could ride it safely for the weekend until a new wiring harness arrived. Guess what? … The list of what didn’t work on the ride: Hill assist, cruise control, fuel gauge (ECM?), Bluetooth display/control (because of firmware?), AND *drumroll* the engine shutoff multiple times while stopping at approaching intersections.

Definitely a bad situation. It’s even a safety issue. The rider gets distracted by some “failure” while riding.

Fortunately, the dealer has been accommodating. I think a bike swap is in my future. This bike seems to be a lemon.

Update: Well, they finally tracked it back to the starter solenoid. They replaced it under warranty. It wouldn’t start, but they downloaded firmware for the ECM and it started right up. The bike started throwing codes (engine check). They thought maybe a wire was pinched. Said I could ride it safely for the weekend until a new wiring harness arrived. Guess what? … The list of what didn’t work on the ride: Hill assist, cruise control, fuel gauge (ECM?), Bluetooth display/control (because of firmware?), AND *drumroll* the engine shutoff multiple times while stopping at approaching intersections.

Definitely a bad situation. It’s even a safety issue. The rider gets distracted by some “failure” while riding.

Fortunately, the dealer has been accommodating. I think a bike swap is in my future. This bike seems to be a lemon.

i have mixed feelings about this post
on one hand i find this ******* hilarious that the dealer couldn't fix your problem and had to call corporate triumph and together they mucked up your bike :roll: :roll::roll::roll:
on the other hand it is very sad to have a new bike and have mechanics guessing at the problems hoping that they can fix it by throwing parts at it.:(:(:mad::mad:
ps
when u reflash an ecu more than likely it puts the settings back to original so it might take a while (idle problem) to learn
dont know about the rest
u use the volt meter to find a short. i use a power probe to locate a short or open.
u don't change the entire wiring harness because it has a short u find the problem and correct it.
may b easier to give u a new bike

i know i must sound like a know it all type guy and i hate trying to hijack your thread but the problem should have been handled something like this.
older lady came in with an intermittent starting problem on an 2001 chev impala. naturally when i tried it worked perfect. the story i got was she could push the car forward hop in slam it into park and then she could start it.
this car has an mlps (multi lever position switch) that is inside the automatic transmission. so i told her leave it with me and i will check it out. So every morning i would start the car and on the fourth day no start. i hooked up scanner and was able to verify that the mlps was working and that it was sending signals to ecu that it was in park (not a problem with trans)
next test i pulled starter relay and verified that it had battery power and ignition power what was missing was the ecu ground. so then with my power probe i put 12 volts to the starter solenoid wire at the relay and she cranked over good.
butt then she started to work great before i could do my next test.
about three days later no start again i was thinking ecu bad so i could get one for $50 so i installed it still no start.
so back to the tests next up the wiggle test. i held the key on the start position while my mechanic did the wiggle test starting at ecu wiggling wires working across motor to the fuse/relay box. he slapped the starter relay and the car started i then turned the key off and on to start (no start) so he slapped it again and it started . now we are getting somewhere
turns out the connectors on the relay had gotten loose from the harness flopping around because it had a plastic holder
broken. so rather than replacing all the connectors i just took the relay and about half way i put a little twist on each terminal. problem solved.
now i must admit this could have gone in a different direction but the tests are the same.
one thing that threw me off was when i tried to start it without the relay it would start and in about 12 seconds the engine would die. but it didn't take long to realize that without the relay the ecu could not sense ignition voltage and think that some one was trying to steal the car and would kill the motor.
i have read a lot of threads and some of the rockets had loose terminals on the starter relay that caused problems.
i hope this story help some one in the future.

They swapped out the bike. I still need all my OEM add-ons swapped over (very soon). I will update this thread again when I hear final resolution. The dealer has been helpful. But I am uncomfortable and concerned about the reliability.

They swapped out the bike. I still need all my OEM add-ons swapped over (very soon). I will update this thread again when I hear final resolution. The dealer has been helpful. But I am uncomfortable and concerned about the reliability.
I understand, Once Bitten... Twice Shy... Been there, and it's still in the back of my mind whenever I take a long ride...
-MIG

Follow-up … My first Rocket still is not fixed. They’ve replaced virtually everything (sub harness, CPU, various parts galore, etc.) without success. This warranty work has been going on for months.
On a brighter note, the Rocket’s replacement has been performing flawlessly. Great joy to ride.

Back