Wos, glad you're ok, deer are tough. I haven't had the experience, but have hit racoons. Had one get between the front and rear, not sure how that happened, just kept the bike straight.

Heading into Oak Island NC in the dark a deer jumped across leaving no chance for brake or swerve. R3T goes near as fast on it's side as on it's wheels. Pretty scuffed up. I have some road rash and sore bits, nephew got some rash but we will live. Hope the frame ain't tweaked.

Glad ye are both Ok
At least ye won't go hungry for a while.
I like a bit of venison

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey just got onto this thread late. Glad you guys are no more than scratched up and walked away. Hope you heal up quickly . I always cringe when I see a "bike down" thread. Everyone be safe!

As we came around a blind bend there was a herd of cattle standing in the road and I almost plowed into one. A mile or so down the road we saw a sign that read, "Caution. Cattle on Road". No kidding. Thanks for the too late warning.

That's where I learned about open range laws. If you hit one, it's your fault and hitting one would have been like hitting an Abrams tank.

So glad you're ok. As we all know, many don't survive these encounters.

Ah yes, the Blackfeet Nation. I worked the ER there for a few years. We usually had our first motorcycle wreck in May. Then a pretty steady stream through the summer. When traveling from St Mary to Browning on 89 there was a blind off camber decreasing radius turn, it got a lot of people on bikes and cars.

As far as hitting a horse or cow there, I can guarantee that if you hit one and kill it they will turn out to be a prize winning bull or roping horse worth more than your car. It seems every animal that got hit was very special, not special enough to keep confined just special when it gets hit. :(

bob

Ah yes, the Blackfeet Nation. I worked the ER there for a few years. We usually had our first motorcycle wreck in May. Then a pretty steady stream through the summer. When traveling from St Mary to Browning on 89 there was a blind off camber decreasing radius turn, it got a lot of people on bikes and cars.

As far as hitting a horse or cow there, I can guarantee that if you hit one and kill it they will turn out to be a prize winning bull or roping horse worth more than your car. It seems every animal that got hit was very special, not special enough to keep confined just special when it gets hit. :(

bob
Where about on 89 was this turn?

St. Mary to Browning.jpg

Where about on 89 was this turn?

It would have been right about here

upload_2018-6-16_13-45-1.png

upload_2018-6-16_13-46-22.png

The problem with was the nice run up to speed you could get coming into the turn and then the off camber would screw you if you weren't expecting it.

The were talking about fixing it a long time ago, I left there in 2007.

bob

It would have been right about here

upload_2018-6-16_13-45-1.png

upload_2018-6-16_13-46-22.png

The problem with was the nice run up to speed you could get coming into the turn and then the off camber would screw you if you weren't expecting it.

The were talking about fixing it a long time ago, I left there in 2007.

bob
That is what I suspected looking at the map. Thanks. That does look like the kind of curve which could easily bite someone not expecting it.

Back