Bike died while in traffic... overheating?

Whilst on a bike, cant you travel up the middle or emergency lanes? Do it in OZ but don't know in Canada.
I do it but it is illegal .I believe in every parts of canada . in France you can split lane for miles up to the traffic light where dozen bikes will take off in unison in front of cars. and in italy I have ridden on the median line and watching other bikes oncoming also on the median ...still alive ..

I be
That would be pretty cool! When I was in Europe I saw how all the bikers filter to the front of the line when at traffic lights. Then they all zip away faster then the cars when the light turns green. Awesome!
I believe this is legal in California. RKTNMYPKT can probably vouch for that if true. I know when I was in LA the first time I saw a bunch of bikes splitting lanes it kinda freaked me out but someone told me it was legal.

I think what happened was that the starter solenoid and starter relay got quite hot when you were sitting there. While you were in gear, with the clutch pulled in, there is slightly more drag than when in neutral. This combination can sometimes be just enough to stop it starting. After a few seconds without the fan blowing all that hot air (plus the heat from the exhaust) it cooled down a tad, and with the bike in neutral, it started.

Some of these bikes seem to start no matter what, others seem to always be on the brink of not starting, and there are a whole bunch somewhere between those extremes. I suspect it is due to a bit of tolerance creep in manufacture.

btw, I called Triumph USA a couple of years ago about the 87 or 89 octane required for the bikes. I was assured that 87 is fine, as long as the bike doesn't ping. The reason I called them was that the original spec was 89 but it was changed a few years after introduction to 87.

Glad to hear you haven't found an issue like that! I think traffic is harder on a bike then just summer heat because at least you can keep air moving over the motor. Traffic is harsh here. Let's just say it took me 1 hour and fifteen minutes to travel 9.9miles. Yes you read that right. Literally moving 3 car lengths every 30 seconds for an hour almost. I hate it so much
My trip to and from work is a couple klm short of 100 each way , sometimes most of it is nose to tail depending on accidents , longest trip in my car has been 3 hours , longest on the bike in worse traffic has been an hour 15 mins, i feel for you my friend if i had to battle that everyday i'd catch a train......

I be

I believe this is legal in California. RKTNMYPKT can probably vouch for that if true. I know when I was in LA the first time I saw a bunch of bikes splitting lanes it kinda freaked me out but someone told me it was legal.
Government here is legalizing this as well , although i always have done it and never been booked.

Just looking at your post numbered 17, my thoughts would be an electrical glitch that wouldn't set a trouble code. That glitch could very well be the crank sensor. The easy roll off of the bike from the stopped position could of threw off the parameters by which the ECU is reading from the sensor. Once the bike is restarted, the ECU is rebooted and off you go.

In case you ask, I have no empirical evidence to support this on our Triumph motorcycles. Just experence with motor vehicles in general. Just to switch gears, I took out my 2010 R3T for a blast on the 404, ran like a champ.

ADDED - you might want to have your TPS looked at and or adjusted. This has happened on another 2014 Triumph Rocket 3. The same set of circumstantes.

Regards,

Last edited:
Lane splitting isn't legal here in Germany, but as long as it's in congested traffic the cops tend to look the other way. That being said, if it comes down to overheating and seizing the block or paying the €80 fine...I'll take the fine!
Like others said though, I don't think you had an overheat. Just a spurious signal of some sort or the starter solenoid idk mentioned.
Glad she started back up!!

Back